Busy in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 6th 2007
Published: March 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Bangkok at midnight and checking into a room barely big enough for a bed, we slept off the bus journey, ready for action the following morning.

After getting a bit of traveller business done (picking up tickets/exchanging books/checking emails etc.), we had a more exciting job to do - getting measured for suits. Having been recommended a great 'international' tailor's by our taxi driver, we pulled up to a pristine establishment. Entering, we were immediately greeted by powerful air-con and an equally powerful sales-pitch from the Indian-esque workforce. We were ushered to a seat, and we quickly set to work choosing patterns and fabrics. David chose rather quickly under the watchful eye of Louise, so don't worry, he won't come home looking like Del-boy or a Harlequin. Louise, in true fussy fashion, took a good deal longer, changing her mind frequently, testing the unfaltering patience of the salesman. Having spent twice what we thought we would, we left the shop with nothing, yet, and went off to see a sight.

The famous reclining Buddha of Bangkok, situated at Wat Po temple, was a sight indeed. The 46-metre length of glowing gold depicted this holy figure. We marvelled at the peaceful representation of Nirvana, the state of enlightenment a Buddhist can reach through a lifetime's meditation and sacrifices.

Later, we checked into a more luxurious residence, TV and swimming pool, included. After our first suit-fitting appointment at the tailor's, we called it a day, and went home to relax.

The second day was spent doing very little indeed, other than collecting our brand new tailored suits which we sent on a slow boat back to England.

On our last day in Bangkok we decided to visit the famous floating market on the outskirts of the city. This turned out to be a thoroughly disappointing day, spending most of our time in a taxi with Robbie Williams (the music that is). We arrived at the market, which by that time had pretty much packed up. The driver, sadly, neglected to share the opening times with us, lest he didn't get his fare! He nearly managed to redeem himself with the idea of going to the zoo, and the chance to stroke a tiger. In the event, however, the relentless Bangkok traffic meant that all we had time for before our flight that evening, was a quick trip to Tesco's (out of pure curiosity, and because they had a McDonalds!).

So that's it, Thailand finished. No, honestly, no sneaking back this time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



9th April 2007

Nice shirt!
I'm so behind in reading your blog! I'm happy to see that t-shirt has come in handy! Louise-I'm so sorry about your accident! I cried when I read that you cried...but it looks like you're making the most of everything! Safe travels from now on and I'm really enjoying your posts. I'll write again soon!

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb