Back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 13th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Khao San Road by dayKhao San Road by dayKhao San Road by day

This is the travellers mecca. From dreadlocks to fake designer gear, you will find it all here.
From Chiang Mai we went back to Bangkok by train. This time we went in the day. The service was good there was a hostess that came round with snacks and drinks which was all included in the price. You don’t get that on British Rail!
A slice of Thai life here as we noticed there was a baby and two young children on the train. It seems that all the train staff were related, an older man (Grandpa), two women and a young man (definitely one married couple). They brought their children on the train (a 12 hour journey) and just took it in turns to look after them.

Big drama on the train! At one point the older man came running to the back of the train and the baby had gone really quiet, then the two men were talking and the train stopped. You could tell something was wrong so we thought something had happened to the baby.
The next minute the train started to go backwards and a moped sped up to the train. Then a girl got off the moped and onto the train. She had missed the train at the last station, so it
Khao San Road by DayKhao San Road by DayKhao San Road by Day

And yes that is Boots in the Top left corner. With a lady boy as cashier.
went back for her!

We arrived back in Bangkok about 2 hours late (The trains are very slow and nearly always late!) and got to our hotel about 10pm. Just in time for a MacDonald’s , made a change from all the Thai food.

We spent another few days in Bangkok, sorting out where to go next and also we visited the reclining Buddha. It is a great golden Buddha (so big I couldn’t fit it all in the photos) which is an amazing sight. In the grounds of Wat Pho, the temple where the Reclining Buddha sits is a famous Thai massage school. Reputedly the best in Thailand, we had a massage there and it was superb! If you have never had a Thai massage I can only describe it as a mixture between a pressure massage and enforced yoga. It is nearly painful at times but you feel wonderful afterwards, like you are floating. It is really good.

We have also put some photos on from last time we were here and visited the floating market. It was worth going to but it was really busy and it as a long trip from Bangkok (about 2 ½ hrs drive each way), which is not that pleasant in a mini bus with dodgy air con!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Khao San RoadKhao San Road
Khao San Road

The other way by night
We are in a small boat....We are in a small boat....
We are in a small boat....

...and getting scared now.
Mmm nifty a fan converts into a hat.Mmm nifty a fan converts into a hat.
Mmm nifty a fan converts into a hat.

I asked if I could take this photo and she tried to make me buy one.
The reclining BuddhaThe reclining Buddha
The reclining Buddha

I told you it was big
Tippy ToesTippy Toes
Tippy Toes

Not sure what size shoes we need.
Mayompuri Mayompuri
Mayompuri

Great restaurant, dinner for 2 with drinks for less than £7.


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb