bangkok backdated


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 16th 2005
Published: July 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

bangkok backdated


floating marketsfloating marketsfloating markets

hustle and bustle on the canals..
Yes, this is a backdated update on Bangkok as i have already been in Phnom Penh for 2 weeks!!... time flies but at the same time feels as though i have been gone months!.. missing the company of my perth party buddies!...

Landed in Bangkok having 2.5 days there and was immediately overwhelmed by the smell of meat cooking on the side of the road, along with exhaust fumes. It is a big city, where even being at the tourist attractions, like the floating markets and the river barge cruise (which i went on both) you feel like a needle in a haystack!

The floating markets were a very colourful scene full of fake bags, thai silk, strange looking fruit, the sound of '.. you want buy!' and the ongoing bartering.. it is something that you can clearly see was once and may still be part of the culture has become very commercialised.

I also booked myself into a rice barge which took us for a cruise down the main river in Bangkok checking out all the palaces and the 5 star hotels .. (actually only 2 5 star hotels which they are very proud of and all the rest are 4) and the little canals on a long tailed canoe (or 'james bond' - was a little unsteadier than others i had been on was for certain that we were going to end up with some waterborne disease after that adventure!) to see the houses - most made of picket fencing, bamboo thatching and have concrete stairs from the water to the houses, although being the end of the dry season there was like a 2 metre jump from the water's level to the stairs!... there were many houses where the main section had broken away from the rest and was on an extreme angle!.. all in all, bangkok was ok.. will be better next time cause i'll be there to party with Kymbo!

hope all are doing well!
more on phnom penh next up. ....PS, for those that are not aware, my email address is no longer at the Zoo, but rchaffer@hotmail.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb