Bangkok With A Bang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 31st 2006
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Bangkok tired after a 12 hour flight from Cork on New Years Eve and to say we landed with a bang is an understatement 😊 Suvarnabhumi airport was a culture shock alone as the first person I asked for directions to where we were staying in Silom did not understand finally after a few attempts she understood and suggested an airport express to the city. We landed in Silom and stayed in the very nice Silom City Inn which helped relaxing us. The receptionist advised of a restaurant up the road which was a little different to be honest to food was not as good as you can buy from stalls.
We then went walking and had our first experience with a tuk tuk and it was a good one, the driver must have had Irish blood in him as he was very funny and showed us a good time and we landed at the night market by Lumphinin Park roaring laughing.
Here there was lots of stalls and a huge eating area it was nice strolling around with our hand clasped tightly to our bags as we were a little paranoid the first night.
It was on the taxi ride back to the hotel we were told that there was 6 bombs left off in the city we were totally unaware of it, and somehow it did not frighten me as no one seemed too bothered.
From our hotel room we then watched the magnificent fire works display over the city had a glass of Baileys that Mos bought with him from Ireland and relaxed and laughed in disbelief that we were finally on our way.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb