I think even I'm in love with the King...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 18th 2006
Published: December 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

A Huge Photo of the King at the Khao Kheow Open ZooA Huge Photo of the King at the Khao Kheow Open ZooA Huge Photo of the King at the Khao Kheow Open Zoo

I really can't imagine us putting up a giant photo of the president at our zoo. I'm just wondering why he opted to let them use a photo that makes it appear that he has a runny nose!
A trip to Thailand wouldn't be complete without a tiny bit (to say the least) of exposure to the King. His presence is everywhere - framed photos in restaurants and homes, huge images on billboards, people running around in bright yellow shirts in his honor. They even have a big framed picture of him at the ranger substation we camped at in the forest! The Thais love their royalty, but the King in particular. They even sell "Long Live the King" rubber bracelets (a la Live Strong) - Wendy bought us each one at 7-11!

He's been the King for more than 60 years - ever since he was 16, and in that time he's proven himself to be a ruler for the people. They adore him.

At the teachers' workshop, our WildAid contact was telling us about a proposal to submerge that area of the substation under many feet of water. While the local people were opposed, it had some political momentum because the King was behind it.

"The King? The King micromanages water policy?" I was a little incredulous.

"Oh, he's a hydrologist by training," our contact said.

My goodness, what a Renaissance man! He's a hydrologist. He's also an artist. He's a photographer. He's an inventor! He's a wooden boat builder. He's a gold medalist yachtsman! He's a jazz musician, too! I'm smitten!

He's also a married senior citizen, so I will keep my admiration low key and just wear my "Long Live the King" bracelet like everyone else. They mean that most sincerely as there are serious questions about what will happen after the King passes. Thai law was changed to allow his daughter ("the kind of fat one - we all like her" said a Thai friend) to become Queen although his son, the Crown Prince, is older. His reputation is not like that of his sister, and the friends I met in Thailand were quick to say that everyone wants the daughter to assume the throne.

:

Long Live the King!





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

We stayed in the Royal HotelWe stayed in the Royal Hotel
We stayed in the Royal Hotel

Yes, that's a photo of the King and Queen on the front of our hotel.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb