Festive Taipei.... The Year of the Dragon


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
March 4th 2024
Published: March 16th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Year of the DragonYear of the DragonYear of the Dragon

2024 Lantern Festival Taipei
A quick look at a map reveals that Taiwan is located off the coast of China, sort of between Japan and the Philippines. When planning this six-week journey, Taiwan became one of those destinations that we refer to as, “while we’re in the neighborhood” stops. When you spend 15 hours in a plane from North America to reach this part of the world, you must consider how you can maximize your travel time. Additionally, we needed to consider if we would find ourselves in this part of the world again and what might become of Taiwan in the next decade or so, given that the Chinese still, and always will, consider Taiwan as part of the Peoples Republic of China. Things could get ugly in this part of the world someday… As with many countries around the world Taiwan has had a complex past and we hope we share the facts correctly with you at the end of the blog if you are interested in history.

But then again….we were in Taipei for far more festive reasons. We were meeting up with our friend Michael yet again to spend a few days together. We have traveled with Michael in California, Washington, Florida, France, Italy, and Burma. Michael is in the process of selling his condo in Seattle but still has his small condo in Paris. Michael is happiest when traveling to Bali a few times a year, eating vegan, getting massages twice a day and practicing yoga throughout the day. Yet for some reason Michael still enjoys traveling with us from time to time and we attempt to tempt him to eat different proteins and an occasional glass of wine. He can be corrupted if plied enough…Michael has spent a fair amount of time in Taiwan in the past so he served as our personal guide as we explored Taipei. He has a friend who lives in Taipei, so they were frequently texting to assist us with ideas and directions.

Our first night in town we headed three storefronts down from our hotel to a mom-and-pop noodle shop. This turned out to be our favorite meal in Taiwan. The beef noodle soup was out of this world. From the noodle shop Michael took us to his favorite custard tart shop… magnificent…. and this is only the beginning.

Michael had been in Taipei a week before our arrival and had showed us photos of the lantern festival and a big dragon in the square. Turns out, the Lantern Festival is at the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations in Taiwan and once again we found ourselves in the right place at the right time. Excitement filled the area as people wandered our quaint local neighborhood streets dotted with shop after shop and food stalls. It was one of those local backstreets that a traveler longs to wander.

The Lantern Festival

First, we came upon the park where the lanterns were on display. It was impressive how many creations were for viewing, row after row filled the park. These were master pieces of color and design made by school students we are told. We spent a good bit of time wandering the park, taking photos, watching the children’s faces, and enjoying the evening getting caught up with Michael.

We made it to the large square downtown where the dragon was going to perform. We were surrounded by massive modern skyscrapers with large video screens advertising one thing or another. The city was jumping at us with lights and vibrating with all the excitement of a big
The Lantern FestivalThe Lantern FestivalThe Lantern Festival

So vibrant and colorful
city shopping area as well as people waiting for the dragon to begin spewing smoke and the light show that would begin. Silence came over the crowd as the dragon began, thousands of smiling people, ooohs and aaahhs, and made sounds of appreciation. An event that captured the imagination and filled everyone with joy… even those 90-year-olds felt like a child again. These celebrations fill the heart with joy.

2024 is year of the Dragon and for those born in 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, and 2012 it is time to celebrate. People born in these years are charismatic, intelligent, confident, powerful and they are naturally lucky and gifted. In all that they do they tend to do it to the best of their ability with high standards. If you know anything about astrology, we are told many changes and opportunities may arise in 2024 as the Grand Duke Jupiter visits their sign. We’ll have to do additional research to understand.

We were pleased our next day offered a bright sunny day at least until late afternoon so we headed to the Maokong Gondola to enjoy the village at the top, the tea plantations, have lunch with an incredible view and enjoy the city. We needed a sunny day as we’ve had a lot of rain and gloom on this trip. Probably the main reasons are that we are traveling in late winter and secondly, late winter weather is either good or not so good. We’ve experienced the latter , but It has not stopped us from having great fun but the weather today buoyed our spirits, as we were appreciating a few flowers and blossoms on the trees as well as eating some Tie Kuan Yin Tea Ice Cream ice cream. The gondola ride was longer than expected and took us over a beautiful terrain where we could glimpse the metro, Zhinan Temple Station and the park along the Jimgmei River.

Foot soak and massage

Two evenings we stopped for a 10-minute foot soak with a 40-minute leg and foot massage. After a day of walking and sightseeing, you head to dinner and then on the way back to the hotel, you spot a place for a foot massage. This turns out to be the easiest decision of the day. You walk in and get on with it. The experience can only be described
The City Streets of TaipeiThe City Streets of TaipeiThe City Streets of Taipei

During the lantern festival.
as divine and relaxing. When in Taipei you must indulge. These businesses are not hard to find, and most are very reasonably priced. Your feet do a lot of work when you travel, so you should indulge them from time to time.

A chocolate tasting

A few years ago, when Michael was spending more time in Paris than he does now, he gave chocolate tours. Being known chocoholics Michael took us to Fu Wan Chocolate for a tasting. As you would expect we had six pieces of chocolate to sample as well as some lovely teas to select. High end chocolate is not what most people expect, but when the taste buds meet the high quality of these purveyors, the experience is quite nice! Additionally, Michael took us to several of his favorite neighborhoods in town, each with a different personality. It is lovely traveling with someone who knows a bit about the area…you just let them take you from place to place and enjoy the experience.

As with every large city around the world, each neighborhood has its own personality. Michael introduced us to several in Taipei and we liked Da’an district & Donfeng street areas
Creative MasterpiecesCreative MasterpiecesCreative Masterpieces

We are told these are made by students.
the best, as well as the neighborhood where our hotel was located. We do recommend the area where we stayed. Taipei is well known for its food markets and night markets that are full of stinky tofu, chicken feet and other delicacies you may want to try. No, the stinky tofu held no promise for us, and we dismissed any possibility of tasting something that smelled that rank.

The weather turned on us again, so on a cool and drizzly day we headed to the National Museum to appreciate many fine artifacts and precious pieces from a multitude of time periods. A well-done museum offered an education as well as an appreciate of fine artistry. We hope you enjoy a few of the photos.

A trip to Jiufen

The Taiwan countryside is lush and green, and we appreciated this on our bus ride to Jiufen which is an hour from the city. We felt the need to get out and see something other than the city. It is a rather touristy village in the mountains but well worth the visit. The food stalls, shops and brew pubs were welcome on this rainy afternoon. The funny thing is when we left Taipei for this excursion it was sunny and was still sunny when we returned. The coast mountain town was wet and chilly. Oh well we had a grand time and highly recommend taking the bus to this village and wandering. There were a couple of good views of the coast and a lovely shrine at the top of the mountain. While there a small purchase was made of an instrument that sounds like a pan flute. We still have not determined what it is called but MJ is excited to get home and practice with her new instrument.

If we had more time in Taiwan, we would have headed further out of town to enjoy the national parks and hiking. Taiwan has a lot to offer to travelers. Our time here was limited, so we had to make choices to take in what we could while we were there.

Our last night in town we felt the pull of the lantern festival and had to return to the park as well as the busy square to watch the dragon lightshow. On the weekends, they block several of the neighborhood streets and set up stages where they have performers singing throughout the evening. It is all very festive! A nice meal of dumplings from a local restaurant made for a very nice evening.

We had a really nice time in Taiwan. We came prepared for changing weather so it did not slow us down.

Please enjoy our photos—most of them are food and festival. We would love to receive a message from you.

A very brief history

In the late 17th century, China gained control of the island and ruled for two centuries. Following the Qing defeat in the First Sino-Japanese War (1894–1895), Taiwan, its associated islands, and the Penghu archipelago were ceded to Japan. After World War II, Taiwan (Formosa) returned to China Nationalist control in 1945, but a civil war ensued in mainland China and in 1949, Chiang Kai-shek and his government were forced to flee to what is now Taiwan. Over the years, issues have continued, they have left the United Nations, treaties have developed and been cancelled, and conversations continue. Taiwan is in a precarious location and issues continue. Mainland China (The People’s Republic of China) claim Taiwan as part of their domain. Our opinion is that this most likely
Dragon LightshowDragon LightshowDragon Lightshow

Every night at 7pm
will not end well, we are not sure just when, though.

Where we stayed:

Via Hotel Taipei Station

No. 60, Sec. 1, Chongging S., Rd.

This hotel was in a very convenient location. The rooms are small but it is clean and comfortable. We recommend it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Spewing smoke from the dragonSpewing smoke from the dragon
Spewing smoke from the dragon

He keeps changing colors!
Dave, Merry Jo and MichaelDave, Merry Jo and Michael
Dave, Merry Jo and Michael

Enjoying the festival.
Something for everyoneSomething for everyone
Something for everyone

2024 Lantern Festival Taipei
Amazing colors & designAmazing colors & design
Amazing colors & design

This was hard work
Friends traveling in TaiwanFriends traveling in Taiwan
Friends traveling in Taiwan

Michael, Merry Jo & Dave
Misty view from JiufenMisty view from Jiufen
Misty view from Jiufen

A mountain village about an hour away.
Intricate DetailsIntricate Details
Intricate Details

On display at the National Museum


16th March 2024

That was great to see Taiwan
You guys are so good at capturing key highlights from a trip. It was a lot of fun to travel together, I'm really grateful the stars aligned to catch up with you both in Taipei. Look forward to our next trip together.
16th March 2024

That was great to see you in Taiwan
We enjoyed our time with you Michael and wonder where our paths will cross again. You were an excellent guide. Thanks for all.
16th March 2024

Although food and lanterns sound great...
I was most interested in the foot/leg massages! I could have used one on my last trip. It sure is nice to have a knowledgeable fellow traveler show you around.
16th March 2024

Although food and lanterns sound great....
The foot leg massages were grand and as we wrote this I'm not sure why we didn't do it every night. Ah, lessons learned... next time. It was great having Michael who was a wealth of knowledge. We enjoy our time with Michael and loved the chocolate tasting.
17th March 2024

Personal Guide
I love how you meet up with such amazing friends while you are on the road, and share your experience with them. Sometimes, such as this one, you have a personal guide while other-times you simply share the experience. Too often you travel with comic relief to add to your wicked humor. This sounds like a very good stop on the trip, and I am glad you were able to be there for the Year of the Dragon. Travel onward my friends.
17th March 2024

Personal Guide
We could use some comic relief and wish you were with us. We will travel soon. Year of the dragon was a lot of fun. So vibrant and colorful.
17th March 2024
Friends traveling in Taiwan

Such big smiles
Love this picture of all three of you.
17th March 2024
Friends traveling in Taiwan

Such big smiles
We were enjoying the festival.
17th March 2024

fascinating
This looks like a spectacular place to visit with so much to offer and so much to do and eat. How does your friend, Michael, manage to live such an exciting and exotic life?
17th March 2024

fascinating
It was a fun place to visit. Michael is an accountant and can do remote work. He's retiring soon.
17th March 2024

What a beautiful varietey of impressions
Thank you for taking us to Taiwan with you. The lanterns are just so creative and built with so much attention to detail. It must be beautiful to see them in full size and colour. And I had no idea one could get tasty chocolate in Taipei. As a foodie, I would have enjoyed that, too. And all the other food as well, I suppose :-)
17th March 2024

What a beautiful variety of impressions
Thank you for coming along and sending a message. The attention to detail was spectacular. As a foodie you need a visit to Taipei.
19th March 2024
Temple in Jiufen

Looking at the photos and longing
When I look at the photos I feel that I want to visit those parts of Asia. It's been quite a while since we were in that region last time. I've never been to Taiwan but China, Japan and Vietnam are nearby and somewhat similar I guess. I love the culture and the food in those countries. /Ake
19th March 2024
Temple in Jiufen

Looking at the photos and longing
We had not been in Asia in several years and we are enjoying being back. Yes, they have similarities. The food is wonderful!
9th April 2024

Taiwan, Okinawa, Japan
Wow! The best travel journeys, pictures and narratives ever!
10th April 2024

Taiwan, Okinawa, Japan
Thank you Debbie. Thanks for following along and commenting.
21st April 2024

Taiwan
Ah, lovely! This brought back wonderful memories of my own visit to Taiwan over Chinese New Year 2007. Like you, I only really explored Taipei and around, and would have loved to have explored other parts of the country. Sounds like you did what you love best, exploring and sampling local cuisine. Foot massages at the end of each day sound perfect for the weary traveller! ☺️
21st April 2024

Taiwan
I'm glad you experienced the Chinese New Year. I bet that was a spectacle. The foot massages were perfect.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb