Day #118: Danshui


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei » Danshui
July 29th 2013
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

North of Taipei, accessible by MRT, are the areas of Guandu and Danshui. Guandu is famous for its (very old) temple and its (very new) nature reserve. The nature reserve is interesting but the area accessible to the general public can be walked around in 45 minutes: much of it, including its wetlands, is off-limits to anyone other than the conservationists. The temple is beautiful, built into the side of a mountain so from the upper balconies you can look over the temple roofs one way and the river and rural Taipei county on the other.

Guandu and Danshui are connected by a riverside bike path, and it was dusk by the time I arrived there, so I only had time to walk the main street before the sun went down. Danshui has the vibe of an old-fashioned seaside resort (technically it is on the river, but it is very close to the river mouth) - its main attraction is the walk along the harbour, seafood and a lively shopping street selling all kinds of weird and wonderful foods. It was very busy and even had street performers, including the ones that pretend to be a statue until you give them money and they move, which I had not seen in Taiwan before.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb