Day #119: Hygiene and etiquette


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
July 30th 2013
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The MRT in Taiwan has "etiquette" posters everywhere, explaining the correct way to behave when using the transport system. In contrast to China, Taiwan has the strictest rules of any Metro system I have encountered: you not only have to let other people get off the train first, but each station also has lines drawn on the floor tracing out where you should queue to get on (if you do not stand in line, an attendant comes to tell you to move to the back of the queue). There is also a cell phone etiquette poster and numerous posters informing you that eating and drinking (even bottled water) are forbidden on the MRT.

On the MRT, and in Taiwan generally, there is a high importance attached to cleanliness and infection control. When I first arrived I saw many people wearing surgical masks, but assumed this was to prevent a suntan (as it usually is in South East Asia, paler skin being more desirable generally across Asia). On seeing this poster I discovered that this is actually an infection control measure - I was surprised to see it promoted so "officially" but perhaps this goes back to the SARS outbreak in Taiwan in the last decade. When buying drinks from street stalls, they are always sold in vacuum-sealed plastic cups. The drink is prepared fresh in front of you and then the cup goes through a special machine that seals the lid on top of it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb