(11) Hikkadewa and Hippies AND Double Jeopardy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
August 2nd 2010
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hikkadewa and Hippies


Monday, August 2nd



Hikkadewa beckoned and once again traveling on the public bus we hopped on over down the island. This was known as the hippie haven back when mom was last here. It was also hit the hardest by the tsunami and now was just a shell of its former glory. Our hotel was aptly named “Why Not?” and Sasha cleverly snagged the one room facing the ocean (guess she’ll survive Costa Rica after all!) We searched out the local temple which locals told us was only 500 meters down the road from town, and every 100 meters or so we got lost and had to ask again for help.
We had missed going to a school but found ourselves in one at the monetary and had lively discussion with the learning monks.


Double Jeopardy


Tuesday, August 3rd



What started out as a simple water run at a mini stall turned out to be the connection we needed to get a tour around the lagoon. Really this was just another way for mom to sneak in another visit to another temple. Maybe she thinks that the more temples we visit the more good karma she’ll receive. We chatted up a monk who told us of the violent stories that were sculpted around the temple - each with it’s own gruesome moral tale.

Jeopardy Question #2
Why does Buddha have long ears?
Prince Sidhartha came from a wealthy family and heavy earrings would elongate one’s ears.

Jeopardy Question #3
How did Prince Sidhartha die?
Diarrhea! One pilgrim gave him bad food and Sidhartha felt he couldn’t refuse the generous offer even though he knew it would kill him.

Wednesday, August 4th



Colombo, the capital, calls. We’re on our way home! We are stranded at the bus station and hop a tuk tuk to the famous Galle Face Hotel where we pretend to be meeting people for lunch, leave our bags and set out for Slave Island. Once again the temple that was supposed to be just a five minute walk down the street turned into a maze of wrong turns and wonderful discoveries (more temples). We had ditched the group a night early and were able to retrieve our last nights paid hotel in Negombo from the tour. It was a welcome change to be back in luxury; buffet dinners and swimming pools.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



6th August 2010

Good to finally hear from you guys
This afternoon I received 9 e-mails from you, right in a row; my BlackBerry was going crazy! I had thought that I hadn't signed up correctly, because I hadn't received any e-mails. Trip sounds amazing! I know you'll be home soon - Penny, call me when you can. I want to see all the photos and hear more of your story. I'll be leaving town on the 20th for 10 days.
7th August 2010

sounds like an amazing trip. loved the part about meeting the palm reader. I hope he predicted a very positive next 6 years. Alexander and I are on the Cape in far more common territory. nevertheless, it's great. miss you, penny.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb