Heading Home


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
January 23rd 2006
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HOME

At this point, there's nothing fun left to describe, and once again the utter miasma of airports, planes, time zones, date lines, security lines, customs, luggage, tickets, Passports, ad infinitum takes over. Suffice to say that many hours later, we arrived home safely.

Of the jet lag, the less said the better. I think that we slept about 22 hours out of the first 24 hours we spent at home. After that, maybe only 20 hours a day.

Every journey you make changes you. Part of every country you ever visit stays with you forever. Part of every person you have met stays with you forever. You never return as the same person who left. Sometimes it takes a while to sort through your experiences, to see just what's changed, but one thing is sure. Change there will be.

Sri Lanka is indeed, the Holy Island. The home of Theravada Buddhism. A country struggling to encompass people of diverse ethnicities, of diverse religions, of diverse political view points. It is a country with a noble past and a hopeful future. A country with crystalline blue oceans, and crystalline blue sapphires. It is a gem of a land. It is Ceylon. Former colony, now independent nation. Source of tea, and rubber, and dreams. Truly the land of Serendip. A place where miracles happen, and no one notices, because they seem so commonplace.

A place I will always remember.


Advertisement



8th February 2006

Great Picture
That's a gorgeous picture!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb