Peace & tranqulity in Nilambe


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
January 13th 2015
Published: January 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Home sweet homeHome sweet homeHome sweet home

actually pretty cozy after a few days....
So as it was presidential election day decided to take a tuktuk.... Everyone going home to vote, buses crazy packed! 1 1/2 hr tuktuk ride driving in luxury... Nice breeze... Plenty of room! Thought it would be remote but soon winding our way up through the mountains! Bumping along reached the 'junction', not sure in this case what it implies.... Shop, bus stop... Road continuing. Anyway onto a track up the hill side... Really bumpy track now, although happy he insisted on continuing up.... Pretty far.... Up an up! Reached the gate and had a samosa snack in preparation for the lack of food... Also stocked up on biscuits and Bombay mix just in case!

Strangely anxious going into a tranquil place... Big silence sign... Office this way. Sat down, signed in and was shown to my room. Standard issue blanket, pillow case, pillow, box of matches and 3 candles.

Probably easiest to describe a day . Early up... Meditate.... Brief 'tom's yoga' session.... Then breakfast time. Great food... normally rice or noodles, curry or dhal and lots of nice fruit and tea. Actually just what you wanted after being up for 2 hours.

Here begins the monkey madness! Hear them walking over the tin roofs, peering over.... checking the situation. Sitting around the place waiting for an opportunity to sneak a banana or somebody's bread! Very cheeky... Although very scared if the monkey man/chef. not at all aggressive and very amusing to watch especially due to all the silence.

Then working meditation... Choose sweeping as my occupation. Group meditation and out door meditation followed by lunch. More lovely food and monkey's. Afternoon nap and more meditation. Evening snack of bread and crispy bread... Possibly the noisyest food to eat in the world. Thinking its a test after all the tranquility! Actually very ample and tasty food. Not exactly a very active lifestyle though!

But was An amazing experiance. Very relaxing and Upul the teacher is very wise and peaceful. Actually could have stayed longer. A but wierd being quiet and not even knowing the fellow people's names but guess thats kinda the point.

Last day took a walk to the top of the hill... Crazy views and a beautiful sunset. Nice end.

Talking begins on the way down.... pretty noisy to be honest... Amazing how fast your mind goes back to normal. Fingers crossed the mindfullness will continue... Definitely recommended!

Back in kandy again for a day or maybe 2... Off to the cultural north next I think..

Wishing you all peace and happiness :D


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Toilet frogToilet frog
Toilet frog

out every night stalking insects
Rock at the topRock at the top
Rock at the top

last day stroll to the summit
Sunset on the walk backSunset on the walk back
Sunset on the walk back

proper wild Sri Lanka


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb