All this and lunch too?


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
August 15th 2006
Published: August 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, Erika and I took our first of two tours of Jeju Island today. As expected, the tour was conducted completely in Korean. Fortunately our tour guide could give us the most important details, which were, when do we need to be back on the bus?

We started off at a famous rock in Jeju City (not sure why it's famous?) and then proceeded to Happy Town. Happy Town turned out to be a gymnastic/stunt show that featured death-defying trapeze-like acts, gymnastic feats, and motorcycles in a great big sphere, going around and around. Made me wish I had a better camera!

The next stop was a bonsai tree growing place. A "thinking garden" or something like that. After that we had lunch at the Miniature World. Many sites from Korea, quite a few from other countries, but no CN Tower. How disappointing! Not surprising though. By the way, lunch was Korean food -- rice (of course), kimchi (I passed on this), salad, pork, and a few other unrecognizable things.

After the Miniature World, we hit the most surprising spot of all. The place where they talk to you about their citrus fruits and mushroom powder and try to convince you to buy stuff. Back on the bus, the young couple in front of us offered us a few Clementines each. How nice!

Then we had a boat tour of the south side of the island's shore, and then a short jaunt to one of the major waterfalls. I have to say that tourism is not a major industry here. I have not see any loose postcards; they only sell them in packages of 10 and they're not great. Very little English here, and few souvenirs. At the touristy spots they have some, but they are all the same. So I have yet to send any postcards. Hopefully they'll sell some in Seoul, but don't hold your breath!

For dinner, we ate at our favourite restaurant: Mr. Pizza!!!!! :D Yes, we love our Western food! I think tonight will be an early night so that we're ready for tomorrow's tour, which somehow includes "elephant"??????? Also I think that there's a submarine ride and horseback riding???? We'll have to see!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb