Seoul and DMZ


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
June 23rd 2023
Published: June 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Me at the 3rd Tunnel on the DMZ tourMe at the 3rd Tunnel on the DMZ tourMe at the 3rd Tunnel on the DMZ tour

It was a cold and cloudy day. The tour was fantastic and it was the highlight of my whole trip.
21st to 26th April 2023 - I travelled on a 5-day tour to South Korea with a travel company in Hanoi. There were 25 Vietnamese tourists and a tour guide who was with us during the whole tour. The tour cost VND 13.5 million (USD 570). It was inexpensive as Jeju Air re-started their route again after the pandemic and offered a promotion price. In return, we had to follow their program and visited all the stores on the tour. After a hectic trip to Europe last year, I decided to let someone take care of my journey and also wanted to have some companions on the trip. I shared the room with a girl on the tour. We all got along well and I really enjoyed being with these people.

The flight from Hanoi to Incheon took 4 hours. We took the overnight flight and arrived in Seoul in the morning. As the flight was delayed, the Vietnamese guide in Seoul decided to change the tour program and showed us around the city instead of seeing Nami Island first. He also explained that the traffic to the island at the weekend would be very busy and we should avoid
Incheon International AirportIncheon International AirportIncheon International Airport

It was nice to see our Vietnamese flag.
that. We saw Namsan tower, Gyongbokgung Citadel where we could see the former Presidential Palace (the Blue House) opposite to it, and Hanok Bukcheon Village. This is an old town inside the 600 year old city, with alleys, hanok traditional houses and old pagodas.

Next day, we travelled to Gangnam District which is the most developed part of the city. We walked on the K*star road where pop bands are honoured with cute bear statues painted with different colours. This is a favourite place for the young people. The Starfield Library is located inside a high-rise building and I wondered how people could focus on studying or working while tourists wandered everywhere. On the third day of the trip we visited Morning Calm Garden and Nami Island. The island is famous for being the place where the TV series “Winter Love Song” was made. Other than sightseeing, we were taken to do shopping at cosmetics, gingseng, mushroom and duty free outlets.

25 April 2023 – I joined four Vietnamese women on the tour to do a day trip to the DMZ. This was out of my plan and turned out to be the highlight of my whole trip.
Korean women at Gyeongbokgung Citadel, SeoulKorean women at Gyeongbokgung Citadel, SeoulKorean women at Gyeongbokgung Citadel, Seoul

Korean women in their traditional dresses Hanbok walking inside the citadel in Seoul
I accidentally heard them asking our tour guides for permission to take a day trip out of the tour. I asked those women if I could join them and they agreed. The day tour cost VND 1.5 million (US$ 65). A Korean man picked us up at our hotel at 6:40am and the tour bus dropped us off at the City Hall area at 3pm. The bus was full of tourists of various nationalities. Our tour guide was Yoon, a Korean woman who had a great sense of humour, but I found it difficult to understand her English. All passports were collected as we started our journey and we wrote our names and nationalities on a list. Yoon used a map to explain about North and South Korean history from June 1950 when the country was divided into two. The DMZ is 250km long and approximately 4km wide. While the zone is one of the most heavily militarized borders in the world, the natural environment is well preserved and some rare animals have been found there.

It only took us 35 minutes to travel by tourist bus and we arrived at DMZ at 8am. After Yoon registered our names and returned our passports, she took us to the memorial site. She pushed a button on a wall and a very sad song about the country’s division was played. It reminded me of my country during the Vietnam war but we were more fortunate that the country was reunified. Next, Yoon took us to a souvenir shop where we could buy North Korean coins and notes. Our group decided to take a cable car to get to the other side of Imjin river which crosses the DMZ. We saw a steel bridge, fishing boats, a colourful word “DMZ”, and a warning sign “Mine”.

We returned to our bus and continued our journey. At the check point, two soldiers went in to check our passports. They were very strict and no photos were allowed to be taken. Our passports were checked again on the way back. We saw fences along the way and Yoon said the land mine field was very large along the border. We went straight to the 3rd Tunnel Walkway. This was one of the four tunnels which was dug by North Korea for the purpose of a surprise attack on Seoul and was found by South Korea in 1978. We then watched a short documentary film. No camera or phone were allowed to be carried with us into the tunnel and we had to lock them inside a cabinet. Helmets were required and the approaching walkway downward to the infiltration tunnel was very steep. The infiltration tunnel was 250m long and it was blocked at the end. It was wet with water drops from the rough ceiling. In total, we had to walk over 500m one way. When we returned to the bus, Yoon said with humour “Thanks to North Korea, I have a job to do”.

Our final destination was a look out point where we could use binoculars to see the North Korean flag and the border area. Yoon said we were very lucky that day as the view was clear. She showed us a photo taken one week before. It was misty and there was no view. She said it was like this typically for 6 months of the year. Yoon also said the North Korean flagpole was the highest in the world as they always wanted to compete with South Korea. She added that only tourists were interested in this tour, not the locals.

It would have been nice if I could see Busan and Jeju Island on this trip but my time didn’t match the tour program. I’m glad that I made my way to Seoul and the DMZ, which I had been wanting to see for a long time. Both my tour with the Vietnamese agency and the DMZ tour were good. The food was great even though I couldn’t eat Kimchi and spicy dishes.

Thủ đô Seoul và tour DMZ (khu phi quân sự) – Ngày 21 đến 26 tháng 4 năm 2023

Tôi đặt tour 5 ngày thăm Hàn Quốc với một công ty du lịch ở Hà Nội. Đoàn có 25 khách người Việt và một hướng dẫn viên suốt tuyến. Giá tour là 13,5 triệu đồng. Giá tour rẻ vì hãng hàng không Jeju mới khởi động lại đường bay sau đại dịch và có giá khuyến mãi. Đổi lại, chúng tôi phải tham gia mua sắm ở các cửa hàng theo quy định trong tour. Sau chuyến đi bận rộn năm ngoái đến châu Âu, tôi quyết định đi theo tour để có tổ chức lo cho mình và có cơ hội gặp gỡ những người Việt khác trong đoàn. Tôi ở cùng phòng với một cô gái. Mọi người trong tour rất dễ chịu và chúng tôi đã có một khoảng thời gian vui vẻ cùng nhau.

Chuyến bay từ Hà Nội đến sân bay Incheon kéo dài 4 giờ. Chúng tôi bay qua đêm và đến Seoul vào sáng hôm sau. Vì chuyến bay bị trễ, nên hướng dẫn viên người Việt ở Seoul quyết định thay đổi lịch trình và dẫn chúng tôi thăm quan thành phố thay vì thăm đảo Nami trước. Cậu cũng giải thích rằng giao thông rất đông đúc vào cuối tuần nên chúng tôi nên đi vào đầu tuần sau. Chúng tôi đến thăm tháp Namsan nhìn toàn cảnh Seoul, cung điện Gyongbokgung, Phủ Tổng thống trước đây (Nhà xanh) và làng văn hóa Hanok Bukcheon. Đây là ngôi làng cổ nằm bên trong thành phố 600 năm tuổi với những con hẻm, các ngôi nhà cổ và mái chùa. Thời gian ít ỏi nên nhiều chị em trong đoàn tranh thủ thuê trang phục Hanbook chụp ảnh ở đây.

Ngày hôm sau, chúng tôi đi thăm quận Gangnam là khu vực phát triển nhất của thành phố. Chúng tôi dạo bước trên con đường K*Star nơi vinh danh các ban nhạc nổi tiếng bằng hình tượng những con gấu bằng tượng sơn màu sặc sỡ. Đây là điểm đến yêu thích với những người trẻ tuổi. Thư viện Starfield nằm trong một tòa nhà ở quận Gangnam với những giá sách khổng lồ. Tôi không hiểu làm sao mà mọi người có thể học và làm việc được khi khách du lịch ở khắp nơi. Vào ngày thứ ba của hành trình, chúng tôi tới thăm Vườn Morning Calm và đảo Nami, nơi ghi hình bộ phim “Bản tình ca mùa đông”. Ngoài việc thăm quan thì chúng tôi được đưa đến các shop bán mỹ phẩm, nấm linh chi, sâm và dầu thông đỏ, cũng như cửa hàng miễn thuế.

Ngày 25 tháng 4 năm 2023 – Tôi cùng 4 chị trong đoàn tách ra đi tour riêng một ngày thăm DMZ (khu phi quân sự). Điều này nằm ngoài dự tính và đến bất ngờ với tôi, nhưng cũng là nơi mà tôi thích nhất trong chuyến đi Hàn Quốc lần này. Tình cờ, tôi nghe các chị xin hướng dẫn viên cho phép đi tour riêng một ngày và cần lấy lại hộ chiếu. Tôi hỏi các chị liệu tôi có thể tham gia cùng được không và các chị đồng ý. Giá tour là 1,5 triệu đồng. Một người đàn ông người Hàn Quốc đến khách sạn đón chúng tôi lúc 6:40 sáng và tour kết thúc lúc 3 giờ chiều ở Tòa nhà Thị chính khi xe bus của tour thả khách ở đây. Hướng dẫn viên của chúng tôi tên là Yoon, một người phụ nữ Hàn Quốc vui tính. Đôi khi tôi thấy khó hiểu tiếng Anh của cô. Trên xe có nhiều khách du lịch đến từ các quốc gia khác nhau. Tất cả hộ chiếu được nộp cho Yoon và chúng tôi điền tên và quốc tịch vào một danh sách. Trên xe, Yoon giơ tấm bản đồ và giải thích về lịch sử chia cắt đất nước từ tháng 6 năm 1950. Khu phi quân sự dài 250km và rộng khoảng 4km. Mặc dù đây là một trong những khu vực trang bị vũ khí nhiều nhất thế giới, môi trường thiên nhiên được bảo tồn tốt và có nhiều loài động vật quý hiếm được tìm thấy.

Sau khi đi 35 phút thì xe đến DMZ vào lúc 8 giờ sáng. Cô Yoon đăng kí tên khách và trả lại hộ chiếu cho chúng tôi. Cô dẫn chúng tôi đến khu tưởng niệm. Khi cô ấn nút trên một bức tường, một bài hát não nề vang lên. Nó gợi cho tôi nhớ về Việt Nam khi còn chia cắt và cũng trải qua nỗi đau này. Sau đó, cô dẫn chúng tôi đến cửa hàng lưu niệm, nơi chúng tôi có thể mua tiền xu và tiền giấy của Bắc Triều Tiên, tuy nhiên mức giá khá cao. Nhóm 5 người chúng tôi quyết định đi cáp treo qua bờ bên kia sông Imjin là con sông chảy qua DMZ. Từ trên cáp treo, chúng tôi nhìn thấy một cây cầu sắt, những chiếc thuyền đánh cá, chữ DMZ sơn màu và biển báo có mìn nguy hiểm.

Quay về xe, chúng tôi tiếp tục hành trình. Ở trạm kiểm soát, có 2 người lính Hàn Quốc lên xe kiểm tra tên và hộ chiếu từng người. Họ rất nghiêm khắc và không cho phép bất kì ai chụp hình. Trên đường về, họ kiểm tra lại một lần nữa. Chúng tôi nhìn thấy những hàng rào dây thép gai dọc đường. Yoon nói là có nhiều bãi mìn dọc biên giới. Chúng tôi đi thẳng tới Đường hầm số 3. Đây là một trong 4 đường hầm do Bắc Triều Tiên đào với mục đích bất ngờ tấn công Seoul, nhưng bị Nam Triều Tiên phát hiện vào năm 1978. Chúng tôi xem một bộ phim tài liệu ngắn rồi cất điện thoại và máy ảnh vào tủ, cầm theo chìa khóa xuống đường hầm. Ở đây không được phép quay phim chụp ảnh. Chúng tôi phải đội mũ bảo hiểm. Con đường dẫn xuống hầm rất dốc. Hầm xâm nhập dài 250m và bị chặn ở phía cuối. Đoạn này rất ẩm ướt vì nước nhỏ từ vòm đá lởm chởm. Tổng cộng, khách du lịch đi hơn 500m một chiều. Khi chúng tôi quay lại xe, cô Yoon rất hài hước nói là “Nhờ có Bắc Triều Tiên đào hầm mà tôi có việc để làm”.

Điểm đến cuối cùng của chúng tôi là đài quan sát nơi chúng tôi nhìn qua ống nhòm về hướng Bắc Triều Tiên. Tôi có thể nhìn thấy cột cờ của Bắc Triều Tiên và vùng đất hoang vu ở biên giới. Yoon nói là chúng tôi rất may mắn vì tầm nhìn rõ, dù trời mưa và âm u. Cô cho chúng tôi xem ảnh chụp tuần trước đó với toàn sương mù và không thấy gì. Cô nói 6 tháng trong năm tầm nhìn như vậy. Yoon cũng nói cột cờ Bắc Triều Tiên cao nhất thế giới vì họ thích thi đua với Nam Triều Tiên, lúc nào cũng phải cao hơn. Cô cũng nói với tôi là tour này chủ yếu cho khách nước ngoài vì người bản địa chẳng mấy ai quan tâm.

Tiếc là lịch trình thời gian của tôi không trùng hợp để tôi có thể đi tour có cả Busan và Jeju, nhưng tôi vẫn may mắn vì được đến Seoul và DMZ. Đây là 2 điểm đến mà tôi đã mong chờ được khám phá từ lâu. Cả 2 tour tôi đi (tour của phía Việt Nam và tour DMZ) đều tốt. Đồ ăn ngon mặc dù tôi không thể ăn Kimchi và đồ ăn cay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



23rd June 2023

Great Blog
We are going to Korea next year and really appreciated reading your impressions. Thanks for taking us along.
24th June 2023

Hi, I am glad to meet you again!
Thanks for you mail. I found you had already been home and are still energetic traveling. Seeing again! I am waiting your next web to the new mail address, if possible.( Kob)

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb