Blog-abration #5- Our Friends


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do
October 26th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Farewell Video - Thanks Jon G. 912 secs
Welcome back to the Blog-abration Celebration (you didn’t forget about this did you?) of our year in Korea and of everything Korean. Cass and I returned to Montana, safe and sound, an are getting some semblance of normalcy back to our lives- more on that will come. I have a plan for two more final Blog-abration posts after this, and I’m sure the anticipation is killing you all (yeah, right).

You probably already figured this theme was on its way. We’ve been fortunate to have met some amazing people in Yeoju (and the greater Korea) that we are sure will be lifelong friends.

It’s a funny phenomenon, this ESL teaching thing, and if you read my article 7 Truths You Won't Hear About Teaching ESL Abroad , you’ll understand what I mean. This experience really helps pull the teachers together, for support, for camaraderie, for continuity, and for friendship. We were very fortunate to have a community of wonderful people also call Yeoju home, for the prospects of ‘easy money’ in Asia lures an interesting lot.

It was definitely the friends we made this past year that overpowered some of the frustrations of living and working in here. We had roughly thirty ESL teachers in and around town, that we ended up having tight nit group of around ten to fifteen. Besides that, Yeoju was small enough that we would run into our Korean friends from our schools fairly regularly as well, making things even more fun. We would easily throw out a Facebook message about a dinner and magically twenty five people would show up for dalk galbi. You could always count on a group of weigookins (foreigners) to be huddled around the plastic tables of the One Time convenience store downtown.

Teaching wasn’t brilliance in motion (I’m not trying to tell you it was, or anything), but once the grind of the workweeks started to creep up on us, it was our friends and weekend plans with them that was a light at the end of the dark tunnel. The most memorable trips we took had to be the weekend to Penis Park and Mokpo Beach, our date in Seoul, really any time in Seoul, Jeju, Busan, Jeonju… the list just goes on.

Another interesting facet of our group of friends that the diversity it includes. Tom from England, Reagan & Leandra from South Africa, Shawna & Jon G. Louis and Jason & Rachel from Canada, and people from all over the states- it was an eclectic, diverse group including all kinds of opinions and philosophies that made the experience all the more rich. Traveling gives you an opportunity to see the world from a different perspective, but to become friends with so many different views it creates a tangible sense of tolerance and understanding that is talked about but rarely achieved.

Plus… it’s just fun as heck. Everyone made the same amount of money, we all had the same days off for vacation, we all shared the same philosophy to take advantage of the opportunity given to us… and no rae bong, how much fun is that??

I would also like to include you in this celebration; everyone that has supported us in our decision to move across the world, helped out with the house and Denali, sent packages of peanutbutter m&m’s and girl scout cookies, read and followed the blog, checked up on us through an email, or simply found the blog on the internet and sent us a message. It has been so amazing seeing everyone in our lives.

Teaching kids, I’ve had many conversations with them about the reasons to choose good friends and people to have in your life. Well, it’s not that often you have a chance to look back, like we have here, and see all of the amazing people around us, not just here in Yeoju but Montana, Wisconsin, all over the U.S. and now the world. We are truly blessed, and hope now or someday, that we can provide to you, what you have to us.

We will certainly miss the amount of friends, the amount of close friendships we made, the proximity of everyone, and the richness everyone gave to our little Montana lives. We love you all and will most definitely keep in touch. So, perhaps a bit overdue, I will formerly introduce everyone through our pictures. Without further adieu, please enjoy…

Blog-abration #5- The Friends of Our South Korean Experience




...looking through all these pictures of everyone now that we are home, it's hard not to miss everyone, and everything so much. I can't help but think of a conversation I had with Jon and Shawna our last night in Yeoju. "I just have never been with people that I've felt so close with, so fast. We've gone on trips almost every weekend and hung out multiple times during the week, and with everything we've done, there has never been any bickering, or fighting, or anything. It's all been so fun. I think that says alot about... well, about everything."

It's true, there is alot to say about everything. I think it best to just leave it at that...


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Mr. Kim DaehyeonMr. Kim Daehyeon
Mr. Kim Daehyeon

My first co-teacher and most likely the reason we came to love our experience in Yeoju. He was more or less 'our' co-teacher helping us with everything, dinner with his family, shopping, thanksgiving. It was actually a blessing in disguise when he left my school, although it was harder at school, it was an easier choice to go home.
Moon Minseuk and Bak EunheeMoon Minseuk and Bak Eunhee
Moon Minseuk and Bak Eunhee

Cass' two angels. These two ladies continiually went out of their way to make sure things were good. Moon's concerts, weird sushi restaurants in the middle of the country, used rice cooker shopping escapades... everytime we were together it was going to be memorable. Two wonderful hearts. We ended up getting to know Mrs. Moon's son Joseph very well at our gym.
Song SaraSong Sara
Song Sara

One of the sweetest people we met, she helped Cass at school so much. She invited us to watch her recorder concert- she's awesome- and had a great Korean meal at her house with her husband. So nice, so kind.
Renata Love JonesRenata Love Jones
Renata Love Jones

Renata Love is actually a friend from Cassie's past, they worked together in Florida during their year in AmeriCorps. She lived a ways away from us, but made it a point to see us often. I absolutely love her soft voice and calm demeaner, and who doesn't love her little giggle.
Rockstar Kim, Kim MyeonraeRockstar Kim, Kim Myeonrae
Rockstar Kim, Kim Myeonrae

Rockstar got his nickname because he has style coming out his ears. Everything about him is cool. He's the go-to guy for anything technical at my school, he's the go-to guy for everything Kpop, an amazing singer/dancer/badminton/basketball/teacher. He often shared music with me, was always extremely respectful and honest, and sorry ladies, he has just recently found a girlfriend, so he's off the market!
Mr. KimMr. Kim
Mr. Kim

This was the very first weekend we were in Korea. As you can tell, we were instant friends, he has a great sense of humor, work ethic. I'll never forget his jokes, or little smirk. He's my Korean guardian angel.
Rachel and Jason DobleRachel and Jason Doble
Rachel and Jason Doble

Our friends from Ontario. Jason was always game for a serious noraebong or sport of any kind, Rachel could sizzle any card game if you let her. They are wonderful, down to earth people that were so fun to be around.
John P. and Sarah WJohn P. and Sarah W
John P. and Sarah W

No matter how much we got to see these two peeps, it never seemed like enough. They were both absolutely hilarious with John's anagrams and Sarah's birthday awards.
Ms. AlexMs. Alex
Ms. Alex

A great picture of her before she swam with the sharks. Another person that no matter how much you hung out, it never seemed like enough.
Louis OriouxLouis Orioux
Louis Orioux

Vancouverite, always up for a good time. We knew noraebongs weren't truely noraebongs until Louis was on the floor. Great guy, and always surprised people with his weirdly large range of useful information.
??????
???

Don't know who this is (waitress, maybe), but that Cass sure can be friendly.
Steve and Rachel MortimerSteve and Rachel Mortimer
Steve and Rachel Mortimer

These guys from Oregon would always be a great addition to a party, if they could make it. A hilarious couple, Steve with an overzealous outlook on everything, and Rachel constantly pulling him back to earth, the combination of the two, and their daughter Sammy (yorkie we babysitted) was absolutely great.
The SuzThe Suz
The Suz

Suzanne is a riot, everywhere she goes. She can have fun in a box if you let her. A wonderful singer with a cool personality... the best lady marmalade singer in the world


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb