Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Blogs from Gyeonggi-do
Latest Blogs from Gyeonggi-do
- April 21st 2013 Ganghwa-do
by Words: 1076 Photos: 60
- March 20th 2013 Bukhansan National Park
by Words: 60 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2013 Wizard of Oz
by Words: 199 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2013 The End and Start of a New Year.
by Words: 551 Photos: 26
- February 23rd 2013 The Garden of Morning Calm and a Little Bit of Chuncheon
by Words: 1279 Photos: 47
- January 28th 2013 It's Cold Outside!
by Words: 665 Photos: 8
- January 9th 2013 Merry Chrstmas, Happy New Year, and Long Time No See.
by Words: 2343 Photos: 2
- November 26th 2012 I Missed a Week... Time to Catch Up.
by Words: 1028 Photos: 57
- October 22nd 2012 A Little Sight Seeing.
by Words: 524 Photos: 16
- October 15th 2012 Fall is Almost Here.
by Words: 426 Photos: 11
- October 8th 2012 A Farewell to Baseball...
by Words: 770 Photos: 6
- October 1st 2012 First Few Days of Vacation.
by Words: 282 Photos: 5
- September 26th 2012 Field Trip and Traditional Korean Day
by Words: 233 Photos: 18
- September 24th 2012 Almost One Month In...
by Words: 883 Photos: 6
- September 9th 2012 Baseball, Beer, and Buddies...
by Words: 397 Photos: 6
- September 6th 2012 Back in the ROK!
by Words: 474 Photos: 5
- June 6th 2012 Spontaneous Journey
by Words: 1310 Photos: 7
- May 29th 2012 New Journey to Pyeongtaek Area, Camp Humphrey's
by Words: 1475 Photos: 6
- May 18th 2012 What Lovely Weather We're Having!
by Words: 928 Photos: 6
- April 30th 2012 Food Story #4: The Greatest Hits - Meat
by Words: 1015 Photos: 12