Giving Thanks in Korea


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do » Namyangju
November 24th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last Saturday we were blessed to have a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with our friends (aka our Korean family) in the area. We didn't have to travel too far, just a taxi ride to the top of a hill in Pyeongnae where we just happened to arrive with a bunch of others waeguk-ins (foreigners).

There were enormous amounts of food! The appetizers table was practically overflowing as were the tables for the main course / countertops / stove. Punch and toasts were made, the rest of the people arrived and we set to work eating. Following the dinner we took part in an age old tradition of going around the room, (introducing ourselves & saying which country we were from) and telling what we were thankful for. We were all especially thankful for our friend Dan. (Long story.) Fran was shocked! But, he immediately loved the idea. His reaction was such that Jess felt like he was accusing her of keeping this a secret from him these past years!

Fun was had by all, veterans of Thanksgiving & newcomers alike. It was a nice, cozy evening. And I think we can honestly say that one of the things we are most thankful for right now are the friends we have made here, who have made such a difference in our lives in Korea.

Wishing you all the best as this holiday season begins - whether you're American and it starts on Thursday, or not... We'll be thinking of you!
xxFran & Jess


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



25th November 2009

Wishes from the old colony
Dear Fran and Jess Happy Thanksgiving! Not something we are used to sending messages for but glad you had a good celebration Love Tricia

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb