Lotte Giants baseball game


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Busan
September 1st 2012
Published: January 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our first weekend in Busan, and most of us meet up at the Sports Complex in the afternoon to watch the Lotte Giants baseball team. We were all a little too prompt - we had a few hours before things started, so we spent this time sitting outside the stadium literally on the street drinking beers and chatting. We ate some random prawn flavoured crisps, like a lot of things here seem to be they were sweet! We also bought some kimbap (rice and veg in a seaweed roll) from some nearby adjummas, very tasty and a bargain at w3,ooo.

Inside the stadium was fantastic, the atmosphere was electric and beers were the same price as outside! The giant screen kept flashing up shots of the players with their statistics, WWE style. They had so many songs and chants which the crowd took up with gusto, and mascots and cheerleaders up on a stage behind us. We sat there drinking, chatting and taking in the scenes around us - and paying absolutely no attention to the match on before us at all!!

It went on for hours! When it started to get dark (around half-time) we all got handed out orange plastic bags. None of us were sure what they were for - until we watch the locals around us. They tied the handles in a knot - trapping a giant bubble of air in the bag - and hooked the handles around their ears! Hilarity ensued! We got chatting (using our five words of Korean) to the people around us when we needed some help attaching the bags to our heads. An elderly man behind me made me a bow to go with my bubble, as well as newspaper pom-poms!

The craic was mighty, the beer was flowing, and somewhere a baseball match was being played. We left before it finished for a night on the town. Korea looks to promise a lot more randomness in the future!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb