Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 11th 2010
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The plane landed in Singapore, Changi Airport at 4:50pm, we collected our backpacks and were through customs in no time at all. We had done some research prior to arriving in Singapore and knew that we needed to purchase an EZ-link card to get around. This would cost Sing $15 each, but would mean we could use all the trains and buses at a reduced cost. From the airport we caught the MRT (train) to Lavender Street, where we would be staying at the Travellers Inn. The newly opened Inn is a traditional conservation shophouse located in Jalan Besar, in the city of Singapore. It was a ten minute walk from the MRT to the Inn, which doesn't sound far but with the sun blazing down (not that we were complaining, we'd seen enough rain in KK), excessive humidity and 60 litre pack packs on our backs it certainly seemed further! We arrived at the Inn and were greeted by very cheerful owners, who were pleased to see us. Apparently they had been trying to contact us all day because we were so late and they wanted to confirm that we still wanted the room. Luckily they had kept the room for us, although looking at the room I'm not sure we were that lucky! Before being shown to our room, we had to pay in advance for the two nights, Ange had to go down the street to the bank to get some money as we only had Malaysian ringits! Once we had settled the bill, the owners asked us what our plans where whilst we were there. We had a rough idea of some of the things we would like to do, Clarkes Quay, Singapore Zoo, Night Safari, Orchard Road, Botanical Gardens. Although, we knew that things were going to be rushed as we only had one full day here in Singapore. In the reception were some notice boards of other things to do accompanied by the cost and transportation required. Consulting with the owners and notice boards we settled on the following; tonight we would catch the MRT to City Hall and go to the Marina Bay area. Tomorrow we would go to the Botanical Gardens, Orchard Road, China Town, Lau Pa Sat, Little India and the Night Safari. After discussing our plans for thirty minutes we were then shown to our room. The room was no bigger than a broom cupboard, something Ange had joked about and now it was reality! The room had a bunk bed, locker and a shower in the corner. The bedroom door could not be fully opened as this caught on the bunk beds! Once inside the room Ange placed one of our backpacks on the bed (you would have though she had committed murder), the owner shouted at her to remove it and place it on the floor! There was no place for our backpacks apart from in the corner next to the shower, this entailed climbing through the bunk beds as there was no room to walk round! It might have been a very small room but at least the room and all the communal areas were clean and tidy and the owners were extra helpful.
So after a quick look at our room, we walked to the MRT and caught the train to City Hall. The City Hall station had lots of different exits, some to a shopping mall (actually attached to the MRT); we chose to take the exit which was signposted as “Theatres on the Esplanade”. It was a short walk from the MRT to the Marina Bay area; Wow, what a skyline! The buildings and the opulence on show was truely amazing. The area consisted of the Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, which is a waterside building located on six hectares and the centre for performing arts. The Merlion which is an imaginary creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish, used as a mascot of Singapore. The Fullerton Hotel Singapore which is a five-star luxury hotel located near the mouth of the Singapore River. It was originally known as The Fullerton Building, and also as the General Post Office Building. The Singapore Flyer which is currently the tallest Ferris wheel in the world. Described by its operators as an observation wheel, it reaches 42 stories high. Finally, the most distinctive building in the area is the Marina Bay Sands which is an integrated resort overlooking the entire bay/harbour. Developed by Las Vegas Sands, it is billed as the world's most expensive standalone casino property at S$8 billion. The entire Marina Bay area was overshadowed by the Central Business District which comprises of many skyscrapers and includes many important and significant financial buildings.
After spending a couple of hours completely mesmerised by the whole Marina Bay area, we wandered another few hundred feet down the road to Lau Pa Sat. Originally known as Telok Ayer Market and renamed Lau Pa Sat, the old market reopened in 1991 as a festival market, a modern food court catering to office workers and tourists. The market is a unique, octagonal, cast-iron structure which houses many hawker stalls, all selling exceptionally cheap lovely food. There were so many different cuisines to choose from, it took Jane nearly thirty minutes to decide which stall she wanted to try food from. Luckily at it was about 10pm, a lot of the stalls had started to close for the evening, probably a good job, who knows how long it would have taken for her to decide if they had all been open! An Indian followed by a jug of Tiger beer was the choice of the evening. After stuffing ourselves silly we made our way to Raffles Place MRT where we caught the train back to Lavender Street and our hostel. Arriving back at the hostel after another hectic day we both collapsed on the bunk beds looking forward to a good nights sleep. Bring on tomorrow and a full day in Singapore!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb