Christmas in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 25th 2010
Published: January 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We decided to spend Christmas this year in sunny, well at least warm Singapore. Our first indication that this was going to be a nice vacation was the Mercedes Cab and driver that spoke perfect English. After welcoming us to tropical Singapore and scolding us for not going home to visit our family for Christmas we were dropped off at our hotel. Our room at the Mandarin Oriental had a wonderful view of the city and ocean so Jason did a good job booking it for us.


We didn’t waste any time and after getting some dinner we headed to the Night Safari. It is really less of a safari and more like visiting the zoo at night. The animals on display were ones that stir at night that we usually see sleeping during the day. The pictures didn’t come out that well because there wasn’t any light but we could see them very well from the walkways. It was a really great if different experience.


The next morning we took the Sultans of Spice walking tour. We saw the old Royal Palace, the Sultan Mosque and the Tombs of the Malayan Prince. We also visited a few stores to see the scarves, perfumes and other products used by today’s local Muslims. After the tour we stayed in the Arab Quarter for some lunch and then back to the hotel for a rest. Later we went to the mall for some shopping and off to Clark Quay (wharf) for drinks and dessert.


Friday morning we went hiking at the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. The peak is the highest point in Singapore at 163m or 535ft. Not too high after our trip to Tibet but still a nice climb in the heat and humidity. All of the stairs we have been climbing at the apartment are made a big difference. For those who have not heard our latest exercise plan. We walk down from the 39th floor to the gym and then walk back up after our workouts. On the weekends we make an effort to do a couple of laps. It really made a difference here. The best treat at the reserve was seeing the monkeys. We love to watch them and were able to see a mother and baby up close. They were everywhere. After a walk to the main road to find a cab back to the hotel we had some lunch and went to ride the Singapore Flyer. It gave us a very nice view of the city and surrounding buildings and waterways. Then back to the hotel to clean up and out to dinner. Morton’s Steakhouse was in our hotel for we went there for happy hour. Great drinks and enough steak sandwiches to fill us up for the night. The mall was connected to our hotel also so we walked around there for a while then came back for the night.


Finally, Christmas morning. After breakfast we decided to walk around town and climbed up the hill to Fort Canning Park then by 7-Eleven for Slurpees. We have 7-Eleven in China but they forgot to bring the Slurpee machines. What a treat on the hot walk back to the hotel. We spent all afternoon by the pool at the hotel which was very relaxing before going out for Christmas dinner. We had made reservations a couple months ago for the special set meal at Flutes at the Fort restaurant. It was a six course dinner which every bite was delicious. Add a little wine and we had a
Marina Bay Sands HotelMarina Bay Sands HotelMarina Bay Sands Hotel

view from our room
wonderful Christmas dinner. Back to the hotel to pack for our flight back the next morning.


We both said how fast the last few days flew by. It was a really nice vacation and a place we would love to visit again.


We hope everyone had a joyous holiday season too!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

LionLion
Lion

It is a little dark but he is in there.
Arab QuarterArab Quarter
Arab Quarter

The Sultan Mosque is in the background
Bukit Timah Nature ReserveBukit Timah Nature Reserve
Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

Lots of stairs to the top.


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb