Singapore: Clean Bathrooms and More!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 22nd 2009
Published: December 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Flight from Kuching to Jahor Bahru, thence by bus across the border to Singapore, thence by metro train into Orchard Road for a late dinner, thence by taxi to find a hotel.

Reading the guidebooks, Melody had planned for to stay in the Geyland area. The taxi driver ask politely why we chose Geyland? Well, the books recommended it. Well, he suggested, Geyland was no place for children. Too much nightlife, too many many women "walking the streets", etc. We were easily convinced. But where should we look instead? It took a couple of tries, meter running, but we found a place with a "family room" (two double beds), very clean and spacious tiled bathroom (yea!), a short cab ride from the metro station. The neighborhood wasn't great but wasn't bad, with an internet cafe right across the street, and lots of restaurants nearby.

Our first day in Singapore we planned to cram in two major activities: first the zoo, then I would take Benjamin to the Escape Theme Park while Melody and Andrea went shopping.

By the time we rode the metro then the bus to the zoo it was mid-morning. What a fabulous place! Better even than San Diego's (which we visited in 2007). Great scheduled shows. Water park. Lots easier to see those funny-looking Proboscis monkeys here than those wild ones in Bako. So we stayed until closing at 6:30.

Supposedly the theme park would be open until 10. We set out. Bus, metro, bus. The last block we ran, literally, trying to earn more time inside. As we approached, we could see the steel gate descending. Closed at 8. For the best, really. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow?

We walked back to the nearby mall with a pasta restaurant outside and a ... bowling alley inside. I haven't bowled in years. The first game I was dead on, don't know why. Bowled a 184, maybe my best score ever.

The next day, Escape turned out to be a compact but fun theme park. I think there was one other Dad there, although no other Americans, as usual. We met an English teenager in line, attending the International School because "the public school makes you go on Saturdays".

Meanwhile Melody and Andrea went to the Singapore Science Center, afterward about which they raved. But that was much later. They forgot all about our promise to meet back at the room at 6 pm. Benjamin watched "America's Funniest Home Videos" while I went out for dinner. They returned a little while before I called the police (I was starting to think Melody forgot how to find the hotel).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Escape Theme ParkEscape Theme Park
Escape Theme Park

On the Ferris Wheel
Attack BoatsAttack Boats
Attack Boats

Each boat was armed with a powerful squirt gun on the bow, capable of completely soaking your Dad in brazen violation of your solemn treaty obligations.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb