Singapore Slings and Bakkwa


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 5th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Train Journey

Singapore-Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)-Phuket (Thailand). The whole trip will take about 14 hours in total.

We have arrived safely in Singapore after a 13-hour flight. Unfortunately 5 of these hours were spent in heavy turbulence, so the travel sickness tablets came in handy.

Singapore is a lovely place to visit, the people are very friendly and the weather here is very humid. I have never been to such a clean and tidy place; there is no litter to be found anywhere. There are no beggars and no crime what so ever. It is perfectly safe to walk around the city on your own late at night. Bugs are not a problem either, you do not see any (i was told by a local taxi driver that they do sometimes have problems with mosquitoes which carry Dengue Fever!!!). The government here certainly knows what they are doing, it is a serious criminal offence to abandon a pet, and drug trafficking carries the death penalty. We should adopt some of Singapore’s ideals back home i think.

Orchard road itself is a shoppers delight; they have every kind of shop you can imagine and then some.
China town is a bit run down but is a lovely place to walk around. If stopping in Singapore you must go to see the oldest Hindu temple here, it is the doggies dangly bit's. Other must see attractions include the zoo, the crocodile and reptile park and the science centre.

Ok, now the food. Food here is exceptional in value and quality. They have every kind of fast food joint including Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King, and Pizza Hut etc etc. There is Japanese food (Sushi etc), Korean food, Chinese Food, Indian food etc etc. If you visit Singapore you must try something called Bakkwa, it is like bacon that has been sweetened with a sticky, smokey sauce, it taste's first class. Drink is also very inexpensive, except when it comes to alcohol. This tends to cost a lot and the people who live here don't seem to be too interested in it, the best value would be the old favorite Tiger Beer!!!

Accommodation is very nice around the capital; we have stayed in a few different locations. We stayed in 2 YMCA's (hostels), the better being the YMCA on Orchard road. Very comfortable, nice restaurant, cheap and has a roof top pool (the view is nice also). We also stayed in China town which was not as good!

We had the pleasure of attending the "Changay Parade" last night (04/02/2006), this was totally awesome, and we were even given tickets to sit at the road side (+ a goodie bag). I must say that it was the best carnival/parade we have ever seen, there were floats representing many countries including Africa.

We will be leaving Singapore on the 11/02/2006; from here we will be going to Malaysia by train. We have decided to stop off in Kuala Lumpur for a couple of nights, then were back on the train to Phuket, Thailand.

I would just like to say that it was a very good result for the boy's on Saturday 04/02 in the Rugby against Wales, Come on England, all the way now!!! You usually only see a stuffing like that at Christmas!!!

That's it for now anyway, hope all our friends and family are ok (Dave Pedwa Cumble) xxx.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



6th February 2006

Singapore
Pics look great guys i havent got any from sunny Newport im afraid theres only one thing missing ME
7th February 2006

hi both just to say it looks great there where you are.you both look great and happy.go for it speak soon.
7th February 2006

Pics are cool and not surprised you're having an awesome time. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb