Hello from North Vietnam


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 19th 2006
Published: January 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

My last entry was the 2nd day in singapore. We spent another full day there. We used the hop on hop off bus around the city to visit Sentosa Island ( just south of the city).This involved a cable car up a mountain (so didnt climb it in the end!). On the island we walked around its gardens and saw the Merlion monument ( an animal half lion, half fish). This symbol is everywhere in Singapore as apparently this creature was seen by one of the first settlers ( i think he may have been hallucinating slightly!).
We then took a boat trip down the river to 'see the sites' . However just a we bought the ticket the heavens opened! we kinda saw the sites but under lots of mist and rain!
After we dried off we then took a walk around the botanical gardens and saw the celebrated orchid garden. It had a celeb orchid section full of orchids apparently named after famous people. The only western names we recognised were Princes Diana Orchid and right next to her Ricky Martin! His flowers were spreading into hers ( Im sure she would have loved that!).
The next day we had to get up early to go to the airport. For some reason we decided to get the underground instead of a taxi. Was much cheaper but involved wearing my backpack and rucksack for about an hour! ( my back will never be the same!) still we looked like we knew what we were doing which was good.
At the airport we had a friendly check in clerk who told us the next flight to england had Lee Sharpe on it ( well we nearly headed back for home...hmmm not!) Im sure he isnt supposed to give out that information! He was an Arsenal supporter ( eventhough never been to North London..or England for that matter)...says it all.
So next stop Hanoi, North Vietnam......

Advertisement



23rd January 2006

S'pore
Glad you're enjoying yourself in S'pore. Have you tried the local food? I've been to Sentosa, did you check out the musical fountain in the evening? Very impressive!
26th January 2006

Hi May
No we didnt stay late enough to see the musical fountain. We had such a busy schedule! Yes loved the local food. Aiming to try something different each time.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb