Around the World in 146 days


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived uneventfully at Hong Kong. The captain told us it was 33 degrees and very humid, this and jetlag was to trouble both of us whilst in Hong Kong. Everybody at the airport were so friendly as opposed to Heathrow. Everytime we stopped walking somebody asked if they could help! We went to the Tourist Information to ask how to get to our hotel, she told us to get the A21 bus outside and get off at the Nathan Hotel! "It will show on the display written in belingo". This showed our ignorance as we thought they spoke Cantonese. We asked how we could recognise it and she repeated "it is in belingo, written in English and Chinese". Only then de we realise belingo was bilingual! Evergreen, our hotel, was great and we were in the centre of old Kowloon which is probably the best place to be. There are about 30 restaurants within about 200 metres. From choices of frog and veg, goose intestines, fried fish skins, or goose feet, we generally chose noodles or fried rice (sometimes it's good being vegetarian). We are now both adept with chopsticks.

We went up the funicular to Victoria Peak on Hong Kong Island. It prides itself that it has never had an accident since it was built in the 1880s. This was made all the better when we found out that the present engines and carriages were built in 1926 by Metro-Vicks in Manchester.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb