The end of our Asian Adventure


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 27th 2008
Published: January 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SingaporeSingaporeSingapore

Andy arriving at Raffles in style
The final stop on our 3 month Asian trip took us to Singapore. This is a slightly strange place, it is a country but really just feels like a large city. It is in Asia but feels like somewhere in America. 200 years ago Mr Raffles arrived in Singapore and decided to turn it from the rainforest area that it was into a trading port. It feels brand new with large buildings and wide clean streets. However there are times when you realise just how tropical it is and even though the rainforest has all but disapeared the weather hasn't changed. It is very very hot and humid and every now and again the heavens open and it pours and pours with rain.

Despite it's western feel there are parts of Singapore that remind you that you are still in asia, there is Little India and Chinatown that are lively areas with many places to eat and shop. They are not quite like India or China but certainly add flavour to an otherwise quite bland place.

On one of the mornings we we went to a Nature reserve where they have kept a small area of the original rainforest
SingaporeSingaporeSingapore

Mr Raffles looking over the city he created
in tact, this was facsinating to wonder around, there were monkeys in the trees we could hear birds all around us and we saw a rather large iguana type of creature wondering around the undergrowth looking for food! This was fun to walk around but it did feel a shame that this area of a few kilometres is all that is left of the natural rainforest in Singapore.

And so we finish the Asian part of our trip. We have had an amazing time and seen so many things. Asia is a fascinating continent and although we have been here for about 3 months we have only touched on all the different places to see. Instead of feeling as though we have done Asia all we are thinking is of all the places we didn't manage to see. We would love to return to India as well as China, Japan Malaysia and Indonesia!

But for now we are looking forward to staying with Phil in Australia, to clean bathrooms, hot showers, food in the fridge and not having rice with every single meal!







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

Andy chatting with the locals
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

The durian building
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

China Town
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

China Town
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

The merlion fountain
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

Sarah at Raffles


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb