Escape from Singapore City... but not yet


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 28th 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The BeachThe BeachThe Beach

All was quiet as the Singaporean Lookout viewed the vast invasion fleet lying at anchor off the coast...
If one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble, then a collection of night in Singapore makes a travelling man slightly bored. Waiting about for injections is getting to be a bore.

Anyways.

The Betel Box hostel (that we are now in - and is decidedly better than the other place) is rather near the beach, so we spent a day down there... hired a tandem and cycled up and down beach front. Its a wierd place... if not and unpleasant one. There are hundreds (or at least near to a hundred) tankers at anchor off the coast, presumably all waiting to enter the port, whilst the beach itself has a sort of vague californian feel to it, with a wide cyclepath/walkway set back from the beach that inline skaters ide down back and forth all day.

We also rounded off the trip to Singapore (following getting jabbed with the next Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis vaccinations) with a trip to the Night Safari and the Zoo.

The nightZoo wasn't _quite_ as good as I remember it, but it was still excellent... its all a bit Jurassic Park. Get on a tram and travel through the worlds
TandemTandemTandem

'Looking cool' and 'riding on a tandem' are mutually exclusive.
different climates and ecosystems and see the T-Rex up close. I mean tiger ofcourse. And the bat enclosure which is full of fruit bats (which are basically like large hamsters with wings) was my favourite from the previous trip - which (needless to say as a member of the female species) Aristi wasn't overly keen on. One of the bats in the enclosure immediately recognised me and celebrated my arrival by weeing (whilst hanging upside down) almost directly onto my shoes. Nice little fella. Bat wee stinks.

Moving on...

The Zoo was a bit pants by comparison, but less wet. It did pull it out of the bag somewhat with the last enclosure we went to... it was a sort of butterflies and jungle enclosure, but had a small troupe (it might not be the correct collective term - but it was the most appropriate in this case) of ringtailed lemurs. They were so tame that on occassion they would almost reach out an touch you... There's something about ring-tailed lemurs that is overtly comical....

Tomorrow we leave for Malaysia...!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

AristiAristi
Aristi

Aristi tries to escape (via the rather nice beach side path), but then realises I am _watching her_!
KangerooKangeroo
Kangeroo

We wasted a good half hour trying to help this Kangeroo find its contact lens. The Flamin' Mongrel!
Ring Tailed LemurRing Tailed Lemur
Ring Tailed Lemur

'Did I leave the gas on?'


15th March 2007

Kangaroo...
...so did you eventually find the contact lenses?

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb