Singapore: HIPPO Bus, Brewerkz and Le Meridien Hawker Center


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 26th 2006
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Skyline ViewSkyline ViewSkyline View

From our hotel room balcony at Pan Pacific Hotel. Note the concert hall that looks like a Darian fruit.
Woke up to a foggy day with heavy rain that never let up for the entire day. This is monsoon season for Singapore due to the north winds blowing down from China.

We walked over to Suntec City (5 minutes) and had a quick breakfast at Starbuck’s. Prices were about the same as they are in Manhattan. We boarded the first double-decker HIPPO sightseeing loop bus doing the Heritage Tour, but had to sit inside on the lower level. Visibility is very limited from these seats and the tour guide commentary was minimal. Luckily, the ticket is good for 2 days, so hopefully tomorrow will be better. I don’t recommend doing this tour unless weather will permit you to sit outside on the upper deck. It did give us an idea of how small the city is and how it is laid out. We passed Bugis Market, Little India, Arab Street with the gold domed Sultan Mosque and the Esplanade Concert Hall that looks like a giant Darian fruit (spiky looking thing with stinky custard inside).

Once back at Suntec City we hopped onto the city tour loop bus. Our guide was informative. We learned about the 2 year mandatory military service requirement for any citizen or resident. Public schools require uniforms, so Muslim girls can not wear head scarves. The communities have a mandatory percentage mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian, Arab, etc. assigned to all government subsidized housing in order to maintain racial harmony. All children must live with their parents until they get married or reach the age of 32. Children are provided with government grant incentives to live within walking distance of their parents. This is to help maintain the family unit.

Our bus guide suggested we try Brewerkz microbrewery for beer specials from 12 - 3 pm and good food at Clarke Quay - Riverside Point. It was a nice place with a nice assortment of beer at inexpensive prices for Singapore at $3.00 USD per pint. However, after 3 pm, prices increased 30% every couple of hours to $6.50 per pint after 10:00 pm. The food prices were similar to Manhattan prices -- $11.00 burgers, $15.00 pizzas, etc.

From there we took the bus to CHJMES - an old convent turned into pubs, restaurants and shops. We enjoyed a snack platter and Tiger Beer at Hog’s Breath Café. It’s an Australian chain
Helen and FriendsHelen and FriendsHelen and Friends

Sculpture at Clarke Quay
that had similar décor t the Hog’s Breath Saloon in Key West, but a different style pig mascot.

It was another short block walk to Raffles Hotel. We peeked in at the world famous Long Bar, but passed on the $12.00 USD Heineken and $15.00 USD Singapore Sling. It is a beautiful old world hotel and was nicely decorated for Christmas. We strolled around the courtyard a bit before walking another 3 blocks back to our hotel.

We chilled out for a while and then hopped a taxi for about $4.50 USD to the Le Meridien Hawker Center. I had a delicious Char Kway Teow with prawns which is fried flat rice noodles with clams, Chinese sausage and egg in a sweet and spicy black sauce. YUMMY !! A large portion and a bottle of Tiger beer was under $5.00 USD.

We strolled the souvenir flea market shops with O.K. prices and then tried to get a taxi back to the hotel, since walking around in the pouring rain, lost its appeal. We waited a long time in the large line for the taxi stand on Orchard Road with little to no movement. We walked back towards the Meridien Hotel and found a shorter line, but still waited over 30 minutes. In talking to the locals, long waits for taxis are common.

It felt good to get back to the room and enjoy the view of the lit up skyline from our balcony. The cold beer also tasted great !!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb