Red light Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Geylang
July 15th 2007
Published: July 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well singapore, singapore!!!!

we had the impression that Singapore would be clean and clinical hmmmmm we saw very different on our 24hr visit. We Knew that the hotels were going to be alot more expensive than we have been used too so did a bit of research on the net and found that Geylang was the cheapest area!

We arrived by bus and made our way through the border where there are no atms for those people reading this that may do the same thing. It only took us 4hrs by bus from Kl to Singapore a short journey from what we have been used too ha ha ha! We jumped in a taxi and told him where we wanted to go.......'Geylang area please, we are finding a hotel when we get there' he replied with 'that is the red light district' ........'yeah thats fine' we replied thinking how bad can it be in some where as clean as Singapore!

On arrival into Geylang it was clear to see that this place would make Amsterdam blush........Pimps just walking round stopping every man then his girls lining the streets, girls of every nationality you can think of! This is not the Singapore we imagined at all. After walking around for a while as it went dark we realised that these rooms mostly charged by the hour for obvious reasons, something we are certainly not used too! we found the people to be rude and unhelpful until we came to a Chinese hotel. The lady was polite and showed Ste to the room her name was Susan and she must have been about 70 and was not a lady of the night! We decided this was our best option, as we walked past reception seeing a man paying his hourly room rate for himself and his 'lady' then as we followed Susan to the lift another couple past us! wow this was so raw and very in your face we could not believe how open all this was! Ste Susan and myself squeezed ourselves into the tiny lift, Susan being half the size of Ste! Our room was basic and clean but one could not help but think if these walls could talk!!!!!!

After a surprisingly peaceful nights sleep we got the train into Singapore itself, well all i can say is that we were so glad that we were only there for 24hrs! We went back and collected our backpacks and took the train to the airport for $1.50 one thing they have got right, the public transport! When we arrived at the airport we wish we would have come here earlier, Singapore airport is fab!!! They have a swimming pool, gym so many shops, free Internet and foot massages what more could you want whilst waiting for your flight!

Our flight was at 9.30pm to Denpasar in Bali we are looking forward to Bali..........3weeks in the sun and eating cheap fish! ha ha ha.



Advertisement



15th July 2007

Welcome to Singapore..
Hi... It's a shame that your 1st stop happened to be Geylang. That's a place where people "work" and "trade"..that's why hotels rates are cheaper. hahaha. Too bad, people didn't take it well enough when they're in Geylang as they're in Amsterdam. Well, when the asian culture becomes more open, we could have a mini Amsterdam here. Hope you had a pleasant stay after all. Cheers.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb