Singapore -- introduction


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
May 11th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At arrival at Changi airport, it's hard not to be blown away with the ultra-modern surroundings, the vast array of services available, the helpful staff, and just the immediate feeling you have suddenly been transported to some time in the future - it almost looks like a movie set from some sci-fi movie(the new Terminal 3 in particular). Within few minutes, your passport is stamped, your bag is waiting for you on the belt in front of you, you stroll out a sliding glass door, and that's it! You are on an escalator down to the local Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train, you buy your ticket at the automated ticket station, and you are wisked away to the city -- about 10-15 minutes after you left the plane -- Welcome to Singapore.

Spending more time here on this island of around 4 million people and one of the densest populated countries in the word, I've been hitting the steets in seach of how this remarkable society works, indulge in the "melting pot" of cultues from all over Asia, spend time with the locals to get their views on their home, and also just at times to be amazed by the whole island. It is remarkable in such a relatively short time, this small island which sitts just a stone's throw from the equator with virtually no natural resources has developed into arguably one of the most advanced societies on the planet.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb