Background: The separation in 1947 of British India into the Muslim state of Pakistan (with two sections West and East) and largely Hindu India was never satisfactorily resolved, and India and Pakistan have fought two wars - in 1947-48 and 1965 - over the disputed Kashmir territory. A third war between these countries in 1971 - in which India capitalized on Islamabad's marginalization of Bengalis in Pakistani politics - resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. In response to Indian nuclear weapons testing, Pakistan conducted its own tests in 1998. The dispute over the state of Kashmir is ongoing, but recent discussions and confidence-building measures may be a start toward lessened tensions.
Blogs from Chitral
Latest Blogs from Chitral
- August 12th 2008 Subcontinental Drift: Chapter Twenty-three - The Man in Bed Eleven
by Words: 2863 Photos: 6
- August 10th 2008 Subcontinental Drift: Chapter Twenty-two - There's No Such Thing As Shangri-La
by Words: 2818 Photos: 9
- December 19th 2007 Celebrating the Winter Solstice Festival with the Kalash tribe in the Hindu Kush mountains
by Words: 1092 Photos: 8
- December 11th 2007 Among Infidels
by Words: 1378 Photos: 0
- September 19th 2007 Ed arrivarono le montagne!
by Words: 494 Photos: 8
- September 22nd 2006 At the border of Afghanistan, in the valley of the infidels
by Words: 4577 Photos: 10