Go Jump Off a Cliff - You Will Love It


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
May 2nd 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Flying Never Felt So GoodFlying Never Felt So GoodFlying Never Felt So Good

Note those beautiful peaks in the background. Just awesome.
The morning after we arrived in Pokhara, over breakfast on our terrace deck we watched at least fifty para gliders descending the mountain. I remember saying that there is no way in hell I would do that. But we continued to be entertained watching these gliders come down the mountain three times a day, every day, for the next few days. Then this friendly young professional couple who were staying at our guest house shared their experience, having jumped the day before, and had nothing but good things to say about it. They hardly seemed like crazy, suicidal adrenalin crazed junkies, and they were so excited about their experience, that we began to reconsider this idea.

The following week, we took the giant leap and jumped off that cliff. It was a cloudy day, which we learned means great winds and potential to soar very high. That we did, especially Stan, whose world class champion pilot Ajay took him way, way, way up there. It was awesome. In fact, it was so awesome, that I had to go back again, on a day, when the peaks were presenting themselves. And so I waited, and on the first clear day, I
Stan Takes to the SkyStan Takes to the SkyStan Takes to the Sky

Can you believe this? And he is smiling!
was up in the sky with Stan's former pilot, Ajay. He warned me in advance that clear days were a compromise, and we might not get as high as before, but we got high enough to fly alongside a large eagle- like bird for a while, and to see the peaks while flying, so I was thrilled. Ajay even did a few spin and flip acrobatics before we landed, just to throw a little icing on this great cake, so to speak.

There really is something about this place, or maybe it is travelling in general, that makes you go beyond your previous boundaries and take a step in another direction. This adrenalin charged little country had us both throwing ourselves into activities that we had never tried before, and loving it.

Isn't this really why we travel? To keep growing and challenging ourselves? I can hardly wait to see what other surprises we shall shock ourselves with as we continue down these new paths and break down more inhibitions, but hopefully no bones. . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Stan Goes Way Up ThereStan Goes Way Up There
Stan Goes Way Up There

Check out how high these guys really are. See those tiny little houses down there. That is a clue.
Stan Just Hanging OutStan Just Hanging Out
Stan Just Hanging Out

How can this not be a good time?
Yoga in the SkyYoga in the Sky
Yoga in the Sky

And why not, I say? Is there any rule out there saying you can't do yoga above a certain altitude, with no ground under you and such? Heavenly.
Magic Carpet RideMagic Carpet Ride
Magic Carpet Ride

It does seem just a little magical, doesn't it? So completely calm, just like that water a zillion feet below. . .
Our White Water Rafting Group Our White Water Rafting Group
Our White Water Rafting Group

So Stan is taking the picture and didn't get in this shot. Everyone other than us in this party came from one of the Para gliding companies in town, who were doing a staff bonding thing and going rafting together. All of these people are paragliding pilots of office staff. We tagged along with this adventurous group, once again, winning the seniors award in the entourage.
Rafting into the Ominous Rain CloudsRafting into the Ominous Rain Clouds
Rafting into the Ominous Rain Clouds

You cannot see us because we are in the raft taking photos of the other two rafts in our expedition party. But we are there, bravely pushing forward right into those ominous clouds ahead. As it turned out, just moments after we hit shore and completed our trip, the rains came, big time.
Survived the White Water AdventureSurvived the White Water Adventure
Survived the White Water Adventure

If I had listened to all the safety precautions and instructions back in the office, I am sure I would have backed out. But it was too late by the time I did, and I am so glad we did this . . . and survived. It was a blast.
Happy New Year 2070Happy New Year 2070
Happy New Year 2070

Just in case you were thinking the entire world believes it is 2013 at the moment, think again. Over here, it is 2070. So why not step outside of the usual paradime and do something completely wild and crazy?


11th May 2013

I finally found your travel blog. I'm so extremely happy for you Ms.Zizzy! I've read every singly entry today and looked at all the pictures! Looks like you and your husband are having the time of your lives! Bless you!

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb