Pokhara Nepal, 29 November to 1 December 2015


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
December 1st 2015
Published: December 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Pokhara Nepal, 29 November to 1 December 2015



Pokhara is the second largest city in Nepal. Again, there was a very friendly feel to the city. We checked into the Trek-O-Tel, in our lake-view room...very nice. We learned that tourist numbers were dismal...again, very sad.



The lake was Lake Fewa (or Phewa) which is part of their river system.



After checking in we decided to hire a rowing boat and driver who was a lovely smiling Nepalese. He could speak no English but we managed to converse.



It took 1/2 hour to row over to the other side of the lake to climb up to see the Barahi Temple. We had a taxing 40 minute hike up the mountain on slippery stones and large concrete steps A young local lad accompanied us (mainly Tom), telling us about a landslide on the mountain which killed 4 locals. He had good English and we gave him some Nepalese Rupees.



NB: exchange rate - $1.00 AUD to 46 Indian Rupees or 74 Nepalese Rupees.



It was lovely being rowed over the lake - very relaxing and very quiet. The Buddhist Stupa at the top was being restored to we couldn't go in. It looked impressive on top of the hill. We saw many Nepalese students visiting to mountain.



After getting back to the shore, we stopped into a pub/restaurant and tried the local Everest beer...with popcorn. Very refreshing.



We then went back to our hotel for a much needed shower.



That night for dinner we went for a 45 minute walk and came back to a restaurant near our hotel for a lovely dinner (Pam - Portuguese Chicken, Tom - grilled fish)



Pokhara 30 November 2015



We had an early start meeting the driver at 5.30am for sunrise over the Himalayan Range. It was cold but we felt spoilt to be in a car. We were driving for just over 1/2hr on a really bumpy road (some of the road was affected by the earth quake) to Sarangkot, a viewing point above a half-finished temple.



We were one of the 1st up the top and it was still very dark. Fortunately Tom took his torch. It was a reasonably challenging walk.



We then waiting ....and it was worth the wait. Just incredible. First we saw the lighting up of the highest peaks, a long time before we actually saw the sun. It was beautiful watching the snow-capped mountains come alive as the sun got higher, and higher. When we had a good view of the peaks of the Ranges, we looked over and suddenly saw the sun peeping above the cloud. Again, just beautiful.



Once the sun was well an truly above the clouds and the Himalayan Range was glowing, we dragged ourselves away after 2 hours.



We got back to our hotel for breakfast.



At 10.30am our driver picked us up and drove us to see:



Davi's Falls - called this as a Swiss tourist was drowned there and they had difficulty removing her body. However, it was and they felt she should be remembered. It was an extremely deep ravine with striking waterfalls.

Guteshwor Cave - one of the deepest and larges caves in Asia.

Tibetan Refugee Camp established in the mid-80s. A substantial school was also built.

Seti River - again, a very deep ravine. We spoke to our 'new-best-friend' who has lived at the top of the valley for over 50 years. He was very anxious to take us around his yard with several cattle etc. He was 62 yo and gave us his address.

Bindabasini Temple - a very important temple for the Nepalese. We saw people bringing birds to release after they prayed at the temple. People come here if there have been problems or a tragedy. There were frequent sacrifices of animals at the temple. This has to be based on superstition and witchcraft....maybe! A guide took us around.

Our driver took Tom back to the hotel and he took me back to the Old Markets. It was so good to walk around without being approached. The local people were very friendly and most couldn't speak a word of English. This was REAL Nepal. It was so good to be away from the tourist strips. I did a bit of shopping!





That night we went to a restaurant where we met 2 people from The Netherlands who have spent considerable time in Nepal over many years. The man worked for a Nepalese-based foundation which assisted locals with education and growth of enterprises. The lady volunteers in an organisation that does natural and spiritual healing. She has now met a Nepalese man and so spends about 3 months each year in Nepal, mainly Pokhara.



This was the first time we tried the local wine - dodge it...not good! We had to try it though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb