Pokin' Around in Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
March 18th 2012
Published: March 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After another grueling 10 hour drive from Bardia National Park we finally arrived in an oasis of tranquility where they even served hamburgers, espressos and steak!!! I was in heaven; well actually, Pokhara. This place wasn’t only difficult for us to get to by driving along winding mountain roads and passes, the only way one was able to reach Pokhara used to be a 10 day pony trek that involved numerous deadly river crossings along the way. It used to be the place where in the 70s hippies came after having travelled along the south Asian overland route. Here they found peace along the lakeside and marijuana aplenty. Situated on Phewal Lake, nowadays it has a mountain resort feel with its hotels, bars, restaurants and shops.

High above Pewal Lake, is the brilliant-white World Peace Pagoda which was constructed by Buddhist monks from the Japanese Nipponzan Myohoji organization to promote world peace. I hired a boat to cross the Lake and then trekked up the hillside to reach the pagoda. The pagoda has four different buddhas around the pagoda. Each donated by four different countries: Sri Lanka, India, Nepal and Japan. A big crystal stone from Sri Lanka is placed at the top of the steeple. It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon looking down at Pokhara and of course, the always present backdrop of the Himalayas.

Part of Pokhara’s British Empire history has remained engrained in the local culture. Every year hundreds of young Nepali men undergo a rigorous recruitment process to become a Gurkha soldier. Gurkhas are still considered one of the toughest fighting forces in the world and are identified by their curved khukuri knives. Only the fittest , strongest and mentally dedicated men make it through the backbreaking physical tasks which include a 5km uphill run carrying 25kg of rocks. It’s not unheard of recruits to keep on running with broken bones in their determination to get selected. The motivating factor for most recruits is money. Most Nepalese earn less than one British pound per day, but Gurkha soldiers can earn up to 1000 British pounds per month, a British Army pension for life and the the option of becoming a British citizen on retirement.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



18th March 2012

What wonderful pictures along with a History lesson! I wish i could be there with you.
20th March 2012

Hello Mina
Your holiday looks like lots of fun Mina!!!!!!! Hope its as good as Egypt!!!!
20th March 2012

A Little Poke Never Hurt Anyone
Such wonderful pictures! As gruelling as these journeys may be, it seems that the ensuing results are well worth the bumps, splashes and uncertainty. I love the proud history of the Gurkhas. Now if only we could find two men who would be willing to run with broken legs to catch our favour!!! Thanks for bringing us on the journey! stronzo
25th March 2012

Lucky you!!!
Hi Mina, Ian and I are enjoying your blog immensely. Reliving our trip to the same region five or six years ago. Sadly we never saw a tiger so we are a little green with envy!!!!! We are enjoying the information and history you provide and wonder where you get this from.Do you feel very distant from your "every day life"? We have such wonderful memories of India and Nepal, perhaps we should plan to return. Look forward to your next instalment. Cheers Jill and Ian

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb