I could be living here for a while


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
December 24th 2005
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Namaste, christmas chickens!
Said goodbye to the Trangs, Nguyens, Huongs, Tahns and Trinhs of Vietnam about one week ago and miss the random chuckles evoked by signs that read ''Good Frice'' and ''Hung Phat'', but I've now found myself in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.
Back to that in a minnie.
'Nam was fun. Was back on a bike three days after the ''challenge'', when Aaron, another ''challenger'' and I rode from the highland town of Dalat to the coastal town of Nha Trang.
''The scenery will take your breath away, because the pedalling certainly won't'', the tour company's brochure touted. Yeah right. I saw my heart beat right out of my chest. Granted, there was plenty of downhill and flat road, but they forgot to mention the hills, the hills that locals were pushing their bikes up, and I was riding up Road Runner style - legs moving very fast, bike not making much ground! This was a 150km day, my longest day riding ever, yee haa!
So, visited some towns along the Vietnam coast, all very beautiful, despite the rain, which accompanied me the entire way.
Funny story: was out for drinks with a couple of English lasses in Hoi An, talking about how it was handy to know people in different parts of the world. ''You need to know somone in Paris'', one said. Next day I stop at China Beach for a night. Arrive there and meet a really pleasant couple. After friendly exchanges, they tell me they're from Paris and eventually we exchange email address. Whaddaya know!
Eventually arrived in Hanoi, my last 'Nam destination, which included an overnight trip to Halong Bay, a magical and mysterious place, riddled with grottoes and tall islands.
Befriended a gorgeous Vietnamese girl who took me out about town, including a stop at a restaurant specialising in dog meat. Tried it. One word ... Eeeewwwwww.
Had a few days in KL before arriving in Nepal.
Kathmandu was bitterly cold, and fair enough too, considering it's winter! The spectacular mountain views were redeeming, though. Stayed there for a couple of days with Michelle, and when her English friend Bill arrived, we set off for Pokhara - a warmer and more beautiful place, I was promised.
And that was no word of a lie.
It's a stunning, sleepy place, were the sun shines and people smile. There are even a few good bars. Phew.
When we arrived at Michelle's lakeside house, she blew a little whistle, called a few names, and eight children bolted through the rice fields from her house and bowled us over with the biggest hugs. Bill and I were strangers then, imagine the hugs now. They come at morning, night and anytime we re-appear from being absent for some time!
These are the children whose welfare Michelle oversees through donations and sponsorship money from her friends and people she meets. They are the most precious, kind-hearted, good-natured, beautiful and grateful children I've ever known.
You can check out the deal with Michelle and Farmer House at farmerhousenepal.com.
With excited children around, it really feels like Christmas. They all love me, of course and are hanging off me. The same goes for Bill, who has been spoiling them rotten with bicycles and toys and he is cracking them up with his wacky sense of humour. Michelle's modest but very homely and tastefully decorated house has become a well-equipped, high-tech abode, thanks to Bill and his brilliant ideas. He's going to stay here forever. Already he's bouncing ideas off people about building a house or art gallery/studio here (he's a fine arts teacher).
I can't see myself leaving in a hurry either. It's really got that effect on people.
After Michelle leaves, I'll likely trek the Annapurna circuit, which can take 3 wks, and get into some voluntary work. Many people live on the poverty line here.
But first, I must revel in the festivities of the Pokhara street festival! I'll find myself in the tourist race on NYE. With eight children and all their village friends cheering me on, I can't go wrong, really. Bring it on!
I love village life here. We decided on a lamb roast for Chrissy tomorrow and sent Laxman, the children's father and my trekking guide, out to find some good meat. There's a lamb baa-aa-ing under the buffalo's shelter at our house right now. He'll be on the plate tomorrow, poor bugger.
Warm, warm wishes and dreams that come true to all of you this Christmas. I hope it's bright.
Lots and lots of love always,
Bec/Clarky xoxoxo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb