hello


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
July 12th 2006
Published: July 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello everyone again! things are going well. The monsoon season is picking up so its been raining quite a lot - it seems it is nice out until we get out of work and then it rains the rest of the evening. Its hard to call just bc the time difference is so large - so sorry Mom and Dad I will call sometime next week. Work is going well for Rachel. The hospital is very different from home - a lot less sanitary, nobody ever wears gloves, its quite crazy. She has only been there two days and already she has seen a lot. There a lot of fractures it seems and they do a lot of pins, plates, and screws - it seems they do it for everything. Its quite interesting - because she gets to see a lot of the x-rays and gets to walk around the wards - so she sees both in and outpatients during the day. It also apears as though she will be able to give ultrasounds and tens (PT technical stuff) which is cool bc in america she wouldnt be able to even help someone stretch without having been in PT school. The people at the hospital are all very nice and they speak english well enough.

All of the children here are very cute - and they love the idea of white ppl, its really cute. Our host family has been great - they dont eat food that is spicey or oily - so that is perfect. The meals are very different from home - mostly white rice, a lentil soup, and different types of curry. We get to have mangos and chipalte (tortillas/flat bread) for breakfast. The tea is wonderful - best tea Rachel has ever had.

We are plannnig on going to the Chitwan National Park this weekend; however if the monsoon continues to get worse - it might not be as wonderful as it is supposed to be. We are supposed to go White Water Rafting, on an Elephant Safari, and bath with the elephants (?) but it will depend on the level of the water. Leeches - fuunnnn.

Sewari School



The first day of school was a lot of fun. Jason Sir learned lots of things and the children had many questions to ask him. The principal of the school even asked

Do you dye your beard?

as she was unnacustomed to white ppl with dark facial hair. Otherwise Jason Sir is starving, a quick walk in the market that is near our host family yeilded the conclusion that meat is certainly off the menu. Rachel reads over my shoulder so it is hard to get anything done. EVER. Jason Sir is tired around 6 PM ever afternoon and we have found ourselves waking up very early in the morning (around 2AM!). Otherwise, working with children is very rewarding and they are genuinely happy to see you in the morning and everywhere they greet you with shy smiles and a "hello". The adults are generally miserable(or at least it looks like they have their cranky pants on) unless you catch them at their leisure.

thats all from JASONsir


Advertisement



12th July 2006

xoxo
Hey Rachel and Jason! I'm glad you too are having a fun time and experiencing a big culture shock. THat is some interesting stuff with the hospitals and how they didnt know why Jason's beard was so dark...haha! I hope you get to make it to the park this weekend! But anyway I love you Rachel! I just thought I'd send you some Aopi love! xoxo Lexi
13th July 2006

WOW! sounds like you guys are having a great time! i miss u guys tons already!! <3
16th July 2006

I love you guys
Im so glad everything is going great so far- rachel be careful in the hospital. Im so glad that you are there with her Jason and Im glad your having a good time with the kids. Stay safe- love you both- bacchi ps- Im sooo proud of you guys!

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb