Nepal - A New Journey


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 4th 2012
Published: March 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are just about to finish our teaching contract here in Thailand. We have been teaching for the last 4 months and have really enjoyed ourselves. There were moments of pure frustration where we asked ourselves "why are we here?", but then there were many moments that we wouldn't trade for the world. It is unbelievable how much of an effect these children can have on you. You could go into a classroom so tired and exhausted, but then the children are so full of energy and so happy that it just rubs onto you. Overall, teaching here has been an unforgettable experience that we will take with us for the rest of our lives.

We've just packed up all of our things and are ready to leave our new home behind. You could say that we're leaving at the right time, since March and April are the hottest months of the year in Thailand (and by hottest months, we mean 40 degrees C every day!). Our plane leaves this Thursday morning at 6 am, and it is an 8 hour flight to Kathmandu, Nepal. We are excited! By Saturday, we will have all of our trekking gear rented and
The Big Buddha The Big Buddha The Big Buddha

This is the largest sitting buddha in Asia. Or so we have been told. Many statues make this claim
will be on a small plane heading towards Lukla Airport, which is situated right in the centre of the Himalayas. It is one of the most extreme airports in the world! From there, Mount Everest is only about an 8 day hike away. Base camp altitude is 5350 meters above sea level, and it's our main goal to get there. We will need to cope with the temperature differences, however, going from stifling hot heat to sleeping in 4 season sleeping bags and hiking in down jackets!

We will be hiking for an average of 6 to 7 hours per day. Getting up early, leaving by 7 am, stopping for a break from 10 to 12, and continuing on until 3 or 4 pm. Our main concern with this hike will be altitude sickness, so we'll be taking it slow and resting for acclimitization days. On these days we hope to learn more about Nepali culture, and speak with different locals in the area.

The only access to these remote villages is by foot. Roads are not possible, due to obvious reasons. However, because of this, trekking paths are quite defined, as many Shirpas (carrying supplies), climbers, and
P1010786P1010786P1010786

just to show you how big it really is.
trekkers (like us) travel these routes everyday.

Nepal is the home of 8 out of ten of the worlds highest mountains, including Mount Everest at almost 9 kilometers high (8848 meters) (Everest region is also home of the famous Yeti... yikes!). Many of the treks in the Everest region have beautiful views of Everest, including the Gokyo Valley trek. If we have the time (although we will not be rushing) we'll try to visit these areas as well.

We will be in Nepal for a total of 28 days, returning to Thailand April 5th! We'll try to blog when we can, there is some internet access in the villages closer to the airport but further from Everest. We hope you all enjoy reading our blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

P1010095P1010095
P1010095

Alex's best friend. Everytime we leave 7/11 this dog is just chilling outstide.
M6 studentsM6 students
M6 students

These are the oldest students ALex and I teach. They were sucha good class.
A Tower of LeoA Tower of Leo
A Tower of Leo

Delicious beer sold in a 3 L Jug for 9 dollars... ahh the Thailand life.
The Forung GangThe Forung Gang
The Forung Gang

Ashley's birthday party at our house


7th March 2012

Amazing Halse!!!.. So excited for you and Alex. Have a blast in Nepal and take thousands of pictures for me!!!
7th March 2012

Amazing Halse!!!.. So excited for you and Alex. Have a blast in Nepal and take thousands of pictures for me!!!
7th March 2012

Hey Guys!
I did not know you had an account on travel blog. The trip sounds amazing, what an experience. I will be sure to follow it. I hope we see you back in Thailand before you head home. Keep in touch. Dan
7th March 2012

Great Blog!
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventure. I look forward to reading more. xoMom

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb