One place I forgot to mention


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
August 26th 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

To the west of Thamel is the Monkey temple, if ever there was a good reason to leave the oppressiveness of Thamel, this is it. On top of a hillside, with an unending number of steps, lies one of the most famous temples in the region. The first and most striking thing about the place is the wonderful views afforded all those that can manage these steps and still have the energy to look aroud. Again it brings it home that the city lies surrounded by mountains; the contrast of this natural beauty and the sprawl of the ever-increasing urban landscape was never so striking. Again, once you have navigated your way past the beggars and traders and found the temple itself, it is a sight to behold. Around it are smaller shrines visited daily by locals wishing to be blessed in all manner of ways, whether it be in business, with a family, or just good health and fortune. Monks are as familiar a sight here as the resident monkeys. The latter are fed and watered and have their own swimming pool with slide. Although comfortable around the daily throng of visitors, they are certainly not tame.

Again there is the familiar sight of bells and prayer wheels. As i understand it, you ring the bell to wake the gods in order to hear your prayer. This you recite as you spin the prayer wheels. It was good to see the young practicing this as well as the older generations, but i know that less and less are doing this as the all corrupting western influences continue to infiltrate Nepalese society.


After visiting places like this, I always find it interesting talking to taxi drivers; while most can ask you only the usual questions, about where you come from and how long are you here etc. Some are able to give you an insight into their own lives. Mine was very open about how he, at 18, was the sole provider for the family. He works long hours to put food on the table and also send his younger brother to one of the private schools here. There are precious few state schools where the education is free to the poor, and of course they are always full. There is a range of private schools and the standard of education varies with the amount you pay. This really is the only way out of poverty for the people here; 50% of the population remains illiterate. One illustration of this is seen in the hospitals. You can buy anything from the local pharmacies, including antibiotics. Sadly, if you are illiterate you cannot read the instructions and therefore the correct dosages, every child i saw today in the hospital outpatients clinic was almost overdosing on the stuff.

Again, my love to my family, only another 8wks until i am back among you all. In so many ways i cannot wait.xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb