First Time in Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
November 16th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kathmandu DepartureKathmandu DepartureKathmandu Departure

At the Bangkok Airport on the way to Kathmandu. Things are starting to get exciting
Wednesday 15th November 2006

Yeh! NEPAL

Hey guys

Well it’s my second day and Nepal and things are going well. Everything is totally different over hear. The place is very, very dirty, probably because it is so poor. But I’ll start at the beginning.

The flight from Brissy to Bangkok was long, but a good chance to catch up with everyone. We arrived in Bangkok at 10pm but didn’t get a room in the hotel until much later. Then up early for the flight to Kathmandu. This was very exciting and the best part was seeing the Himalayan Mountain ranges, especially everest peaking above all the clouds. The view was spectacular. I’m hoping to get a little closer, but we’ll see what happens.

Arriving in the Kathmandu airport was quite eventful, lining up to get our visas and then baggage collection. But out of the 15 of us only 2 sleeping bags were lost. Pretty good I thought, lucky nothing was mine, touch wood.

Getting from the airport to the bus was quite hairy, followed by men demanding to carry our bags, I held on to mine, but those who didn’t had to coff up $20 US for the porter service. An experience that wont happen again, and a good lesson learnt, hang on to your bags no matter what.

After travelling about an hour in an old, dirty, full bus, we finally arrived at our home for the next 5 days, a small hotel in dhulikhel. The bus ride was ok, a little crazy and noisy at times, but loud, as they are always blowing their horns.

The hotel is very very basic. A bit dirty, but you try not to think about it as you lay on the hard flat bed, and use the dirty, smelly, non flushing toilets. But all is good, because of the amazing view from both the roof and the shower of those wonderful mountains.

The food has been quite good, a lot of rice and vegies, and some unidentifiable meat. You never know I might come back a vego.

After spending an awefull day on language training yesterday, I have come to realise I really, really, really suck at Nepalise. Later we went for a walk through the town. Saw all the locals and visited a local school. The people here are very friendly.

Today we are in Kathmandu, for shopping and to see the sights. And tomorrow we are off for a 6 hour walk to see the Namobudda. 3 hours up and hill there and 3 hours back. I hope he is worth it.

Neway enough from me, the next blog wont be as long I promise.
Miss you all
Talk again soon

Mwa mwa

PS. The weather is really nice over here, and bit cold at night but during the day and singlet and shirt will do. But each day it gets colder

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb