Two distressed British nationals in Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
April 12th 2006
Published: April 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello!
We just made it to the safe confrines of Thamel in kathmandu. We logged on expecting lots of messages of concern about whether we were OK given the situation here, but no one sent any, not even my dad!... maybe it hasn't been reported on the UK news, but there were a lot of protests here and quite a few Nepalis have ben shot.
We didn't know because we hadn't had any TV or e-mail for a week in Tibet. Our guide sent us over the border and when we got to Kodari, we discovred there was a curfew and all the roads were blocked. There was no transport at all. We banded together with about 15 other travellers and got a "tourist bus" to take us through the road blocks. The Americans and Canadians were completely hysterical, but there were some nice Dutch people and a Dutch guide who got us through most of the road blocks. When we got to a town called Banapa (spelling??), there road was on fire and blocked by trees and we couldn't get through. We had to stay in a resort called Dhulikel overnight. It was really beautiful and we could see the whole Anapurna range. The next day the road was stil blocked, so we decided to make a group of 15, hired porters and had to walk about 10 miles. We went straight through the town where the shootings had been it. It was very eerie and there were burnt out cars, tanks, snipers on the roof etc. The road was literally smoking. Anyway, we eventually got to Thamel, which was a big relief.
There are a lot of curfews and demonstrations in other bits of the city, but otherwise seems fine, so we'll stay here til Saturday. They also have friut and lattes and it's v warm after Tibet.
Anyway, if anyone's folowing my route, I wouldn't recommend coming into Nepal until the situation has been resolved.
The Tibet journey was amazing. Just getting my pictures put on disks and will post some pictures later or tomorrow. We got [perfectly clear views of Everest, so were v lucky. It was also v cold and the food was inedible, so am v thin now!
Sounds like curfew is starting again and there's noise outside, so have to go......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb