I made it back!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
October 27th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Just a very quick blog to let you all know I made it safely back to Kathmandu. I've got one more night here and then I'm heading back to Oz to my 2 beautiful girls!!

Unfortunately I've run out of cash and my attempt to access more money from the ATM failed so I have about $4 left to keep me going till I leave in 24hrs...hopefully I don't have to resort to begging on the street.

Last night was very scary - during the day I was feeling really tired and weak and was generally feeling quite dazed. As the day went on I got worse and worse and by dinner time I could barely speak. We were having our final group celebration dinner but I couldn't even concentrate on listening to conversation much less join in. I felt like I'd been drugged or something although I'm sure I wasn't - it felt like my brain was disconnected from my body and was working ok but couldn't tell my mouth and ears what to do. My guide and the director of the trekking agency were quite worried about me (as I was too) so i asked to be taken to a doctor. The director whisked me away on the back of his motorbike to the CIWEC clinic which thankfully is the best western medical facility in Kathmandu. The Dr and the specialist both gave me a good checkup and couldn't find anything wrong with me - which I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not.

After spending an hour or so there they told me to go get lots of rest and drink lots of fluid as well as giving me some drugs. Anyway after a good nights sleep and 3L of water I'm feeling much better today. Still got no idea what it was but I met one of the climging sherpa's today and he reckons it's my head readjusting to the lower elevation. I'm not sure if it's possible to get Low Altitude Sickness but perhaps there's some truth to it. Today I've done nothing except read in bed, eat food at the hotel and just resting. Will meet up with Eduardo and Ana (my climbing companions) for take 2 of our final dinner tonight at a well recommended Thai restaurant.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon...Scott

p.s. have attached some rand


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th October 2009

low altitude sickness
yeah i have problems with low altitude sickness as well.. the good news is that you get used to it dude! seriously glad to hear you are better and praise the big one in the sky for that.. sounds like a fun experience with loads of good stories.. looking forward to catching up bro!
29th October 2009

Great Job Scott!
Hey Scott. Amazing! Wow to think you have been that close to Everest! Sooooo glad you have made it back safely and achieved one of your life's dreams. Good job. You wont believe how much Sara has grown and progressed in a month. Bet you cant wait to get home now. Love to you from all our clan.
29th October 2009

Oh yeah-bout that beard....you're daughter will be wondering what's happened to her daddy!!!!!

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb