Chitwan


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
March 7th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

111

The streets in Chitwan
We arrived in Chitwan later in the day so there wasn't much for us to do, so we went for a village walk and got familiar with the town and the people. The next day we woke up bright and early for our elephant trek through the jungle on the hopes that we will see some wild rhino. We were very fortunate to see a couple of them, and they are bigger and scarier up close then at the zoo.

After our trek Sarah had the opportunity to ride an elephant barebacked through the town to the elephant bath where I joined her. Bathing an elephant is probably one of the most exhausting, amazing experiences we have ever had. The elephant will keep dunking you under going side to side for 15-20 min and you better hold on or you are swimming. This was definetely a highlight for Sarah and for myself as well.

We grabbed some lunch after our tiresome morning, and went on a canoe trip through the backwaters and came very close to some crocodiles. The canoe trip led us to land where we were going to walk through the jungle to the Elephant breeding centre.
222

Joe stepping in elephant poo
We were informed about different protection techniques in case we run into any wild tigers, bears, rhinos, or elephants. Luckily we didn't have to use any. However, right in front of the centre we saw another wild rhino roam by, but watched from a further distance than in the morning because we weren't on a huge elephant, in case of an attack.

We made it to the breeding centre alive and got to see the first twin elephant babies in Asia, 2nd in the world.

At the end of the day it was one of those nights that we felt very lucky to experience everything we did that day and hoped for more....

The next day we woke up to catch our bus and were informed about a political strike against the government which left all the roads out blocked and us stranded. At this point there was nothing we could do, we were just happy to be in a safe place so we went to watch the elephants bathe, and check emails etc.

On the way back we stopped at the local orphanage to spend some time with the kids and sang ABC's and other English songs. If we could adopt them all we would.

Later that night, we were very lucky to be invited to a local wedding reception where we had the opportunity to witness and participate in the celebration. All the people were very warm and welcoming to the strangers at their wedding. We became the entertainment for the children, who loved taking pictures with our camera!
Another great day in Nepal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

44
4

Feeding time
55
5

On the elephant getting ready for our safari
66
6

At last we spot the wild Rhino...very exciting moment!!
77
7

The jungle
88
8

On our weay to the river for a bath
99
9

Joe and I getting a shower
1212
12

Elephant bathing
Photo 1Photo 1
Photo 1

Spending time with the children at the orphanage
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

eating at the Wedding
Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Playing with the children


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb