Annapurna Trek - Day Two


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Base Camp
November 18th 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we have a big day ahead of us with a huge climb from Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani (2,750 metres) which passes through Ulleri (2,070 metres). There is a ascent of 1000 metres which is mostly uneven stones steps which have been laid by the conservation trust. We have found that climbing these stone stairs is much harder than standard hill walking and were cursing the ‘steps of hell’ as we went. Bicky gave us a tip that walking diagonally whilst climbing helps to ease the strain, it seems to work but looks quite funny as you zig-zag up the mountain.

The walk was essentially a climb up the valley wall to get over the other side. It was mostly in sunny conditions to start but then into jungle which was quite cool. No villages in the jungle areas and quite challenging walking. As we got towards the top, the first mountain slowly appeared, Annapurna South. As we got higher, a couple more made an appearance and we were amazed by their size even from quite a distance... and they were only going to get bigger!

We finally reached Ghorepani and although some cloud and mist had rolled in, we could just make out the mountain range from the village. It was a taster for the next mornings hike to a viewpoint called Poon Hill which provides 360 degree views of the entire Annapurna range.

This village was quite large due to the popularity of Poon Hill and we were amazed to find Internet access (where we posted our Pune blog) and a place advertising pool and snooker tables. Sure enough, a full sized snooker table and a standard pool table at 2,750 metres!! Apparently they were carried by mule and porter all the way from Nayapul (where we started our trek). Impossible to imagine when reflecting on our previous days walk so we had to have a couple of games to show our appreciation at such a feat.

The tea house where we stopped had our first western toilet (all others have been drop holes) and we also had a chance to have our first shower in two days... lucky as Nat was starting to whiff a bit! We were the only group in this lodge as everyone else trekked a bit further to the top of the village in order to reduce the climb in the morning to Poon Hill. However Bicky knew better and we had our own trail next to our lodge and the trail for the next day as well!!

That night we tried the local tipple - Mustang coffee, which is sugar melted into butter then fried with rice, millet wine is then added with the coffee; an interesting taste and one which I don’t think will grow on us!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Stairs from hellStairs from hell
Stairs from hell

Apparently 3,300 stairs to Ulleri
Rest stopRest stop
Rest stop

Well deserved drinks break...
Tea BreakTea Break
Tea Break

Every couple of hours we stop for tea and a rest at one of the many lodges
Tea HouseTea House
Tea House

Bedroom with a view... better than we expected!
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

Lodge owners preparing our dinner
CardsCards
Cards

Teaching Bicky and Rohini some card games over a mustang coffee...


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb