Annapurna Trek - Day One... the adventure begins.


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Base Camp
November 17th 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Trek MapTrek MapTrek Map

Map showing the trekking routes in the Annapurna Range
The short flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara was great as we managed to get some amazing views of the Himalayas including Everest... see attached photos!

Today we embark on an 11 day trek into the Annapurna Range. During the trek we will start in Nayapul and visit many different villages along the way to Annapurna Base Camp, which is 4,100 metres above sea level, before returning via a slightly different route.

When booking our trek, instead of going with a fixed and rigid itinerary and large group, we went for a local company who organises tailored small treks. Choosing such a company meant we needed to be open to last minute changes or problems. The first change was instead of a group of 6 on the trek, it was just the two of us after one couple cancelled and the other got delayed. This was not a major issue but it would have been nice to have some company on the trek. However, we found that you just meet people along the route and at the tea houses when you stop anyway.

Our guide is a Nepalese guy called Bicky who is an adrenaline junkie who does mountain biking, rock climbing, paragliding and mountaineering (Natalie thinks he is like a Nepalese Arnold Schwarzenegger, but he’s not quite that big). He has great knowledge of the local culture, flora and fauna and so it regularly stopping to show us different things. I think this is something we would have missed with a large group as you can’t always stop when you like and you are also never always near the guide.

Our porter’s name is Rohini, who we feel increasing sorry for having to carry our heavy packs. We did dump a lot of gear in Pokhara as we have clothes, shoes etc which we did not need. However, being our first trek we were not 100% sure what we would need and in hindsight we probably took too much stuff... like Natalie’s hairdryer!! Every morning we feel sorry for him as he binds the packs together, puts the rope over his forehead and lifts them onto his back. It’s amazing he can carry so much, it is hard enough just carrying a small pack with a few essentials. However, we have seen other porter stacked with much more with some of the larger groups and also people carrying supplies between villages such as bags or rice. I think we will owe him a good tip at the end...

Our first day was mostly easy walking following a valley and passing through many small farming villages. Every spare accessible area of land is farmed with everything you can imagine. Quite an easy days walk, mostly in sun but with no views of the mountains as we were low in the valley. We trekked for 4 hours from Nayapul to Tikhedhunga which is 1,540 metres and where we were to spend the night.

That night we had our first taste of local tea houses which are just local lodges with basic facilities. We spent the evening having a few beers, eating Dhal Bhat and teaching Bicky and Rohini an English card game (thanks Matt and Shelley).

We also met an English couple who are from a little village near where Dan played cricket in Yorkshire. They knew the captain of the club Dan played for... such a small world! We also met two Polish and Slovenian girls who shared their Rum with us... good company so far!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mount EverestMount Everest
Mount Everest

The big one in the middle...
HorsesHorses
Horses

Used to carry goods to the remote villages
Big bridgeBig bridge
Big bridge

Low down in the valley
TikhedhungaTikhedhunga
Tikhedhunga

We made it to Tikhedhunga which is 1,540 metres and where we were to spend the night.
First nightFirst night
First night

Dan in his rented sleeping bag


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb