Annapurna Trek - Day Three


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Base Camp
November 19th 2009
Published: November 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: View from Poon Hill 22 secs
[youtube=nauL2V6x6iA]We started our day at the unsociable hour of 5am to climb to Poon Hill (a steep ascent of around 400 metres) which we were assured would be worth the effort. It was freezing when we set off by torch light in the pitch black with hundreds of stars above us. Dan saw a shooting star and he wished we make it up and back in one piece.

We slowly started to pass other groups who had left earlier as they stopped for a breather. Our competitive streak came out and we declined any breaks in the hope of getting to the top first to select our preferred viewing point. So head down and puffing hard we made it to the top in the blistering time of 35 mins (average ascent 1 hour) and were the second group up there.

The sun was just beginning to rise but the temperature was freezing at minus 2! Some entrepreneurial locals had set up a little shack selling tea and coffee so we grabbed a coffee and settled in to watch the amazing sight unfold before our eyes as the sun rose and the peaks slowly became visible. It was absolutely breathtaking and one of the most magnificent experiences of our lives. Unfortunately we had to share it with around 200 other people, but we had the best spot!! Hopefully the video we uploaded helps to do it justice.

After taking too many photos we descended back to Ghorepani for a well earned breakfast. Our next stop was an even higher location of 3,315 metres where we again had amazing views of the Annapurna range... all this before 10am!

The rest of the day was easy in comparison as we trekked through a wooded area to Deurali (2,983 metres) and then onto Banthanti through the forest following a gorge with yet more waterfalls. We ascended and descended many times using mostly stone steps made by the locals, some of which were being built as we passed, until we finally made it to Tadapani (2,680 metres) where we were to stay the night.

Our tea house for the night was perched on the edge of the valley with views across to the mountain ranges. We had another excellent meal, some more Everest Beers and met and shared stories with other people trekking. We warmed our legs and dryed some clothes with a coal fire under the table. Unfortunately the porter put his trousers a little too close to the coals and burnt a nice big hole in the front! These were his only walking trousers, at least now they had some ventilation holes!

Every night after a long walk we make sure we drink plenty of water to rehydrate ourselves, plus a few beers to celebrate the day! Unfortunately this leads to a well known problem, the need to go to the toilet in the middle of the night... sometimes more than once! I’m sure you are thinking, what’s the big deal?! Well, it’s a big deal when you are snuggled up in a sleeping bag, the toilet is outside, and it is only a few degrees! We have found that there is no use fighting it, best to brave the cold and get it over and done with so you can get back to sleep again... it doesn’t just evaporate unfortunately!

Hope you enjoy the amazing photos and video. There is two pages worth of photos, just click the 'next page' link to see the other photos...


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Sunrise 4Sunrise 4
Sunrise 4

Higher than the cloud!!
35 mins35 mins
35 mins

Still dark and freezing...
View from lookoutView from lookout
View from lookout

There was a lookout to provide even higher views!
3228 Metres3228 Metres
3228 Metres

Highest point on the trek thus far...
Descending 3Descending 3
Descending 3

View of Ghorepani during the descent back for breakfast
Descending 2Descending 2
Descending 2

Nat with the frost... still cold even with the sun up!
LunchLunch
Lunch

Well earned after such an early start and hard climb.


29th November 2009

Engagement Congrats !!
Hi Nat/Dan Spoke to Mum last night gave us your good news, we are really enjoying logging onto your blog, what a wonderful experience.
3rd December 2009

Loving the blogs, just caught up after getting back from Kenya. Amazing photos, and we know they don't really capture the moment as it is. Keep safe as you journey on XXXOOO
1st March 2010

Trip so far.............
Dan and Nat the trip looks absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!! The photo's are just breathtaking and the added stories make it a very entertaining read. I am only halfway through all the blogs and are looking forward to reading on.......... Hope the rest of the trip is as enjoyable as it has been so far and I look forward to hopefully catching up with you both in Queensland. Adios Amigo!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb