Taiping and Bukit Lauret


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
February 1st 2006
Published: February 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Taiping is an intriguing town which the guide talked about negatively but I thought was an interesting stop on route to the coast. I also wanted to visit a hillstation and Bukit Lauret (Malaysia'a oldest) is situated just (almost all uphill, over 1400m) 12km's from the town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Chinese New Year in TaipingChinese New Year in Taiping
Chinese New Year in Taiping

Taiping, with it's higher then average Chinese population, celebrated the New Year well into the early hours.
Bukit Lauret's Tea StationBukit Lauret's Tea Station
Bukit Lauret's Tea Station

Not much left of it now but Bukit Lauret was apparently the first hill station in Malaysia. The tea staion is located half way up the mountain (definitely didn't feel like a hill. It took me 4 hours to climb!).
One of the far ranging views from Bukit LauretOne of the far ranging views from Bukit Lauret
One of the far ranging views from Bukit Lauret

The views from the hill top were spectacular and well worth the slog up there (although my legs didn't thank me the next day). The optional land rover ride up there didn't appeal to me at the time...I can never turn down challenge!
Waterfall on Bukit LauretWaterfall on Bukit Lauret
Waterfall on Bukit Lauret

Waterfall on Bukit Lauret.
Monkeys in Taiping!Monkeys in Taiping!
Monkeys in Taiping!

Actually they were in the zoo not out wandering the streets. I couldn't get close enought to the real ones to take any decent photos. Went to the zoo to see if the locals would stare more at the animals then me...you get up to strange things when your travelling on your own!


10th February 2006

strange things?
what strange things do you get up to? It must be mad travelling among wild monkeys. love the photo of the waterfall and the spectactular view from the hill top. Keep the photo's coming...

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb