8 May 2012 - Kuala Lumpur. Towers, Chinatown, Little India and a touch of Jamaica.


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Fairly early start this morning to get to the Petronas Towers before tickets were sold out, so after breakfast we headed there via monorail, followed by what the hostel guy said was a 'five minute walk.' It so wasn't, more like a ten minute walk. The monorail was absolutely packed and we had to squish onto the carriage, probably due to it being peak hour.

At Petronas Towers we had to line up for a good half hour, but luckily could get tickets for any of the afternoon tours. We opted to go for 7pm, hoping to get some night or late afternoon photos, perhaps even the sunset. After a quick stroll through the shopping centre at the base of the towers, we hopped a train to go down to Chinatown.

Essentially we were going to follow the Lonely Planet suggested walking tours, which I always have problems following as I get lost. First stop was a stroll past Old China Cafe (where we would later grab dinner) before it was on to Chan See Yuen Temple, which was being renovated and then across to Koon Yam (Guanyin) Temple. We went inside this one, which was dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy. Inside were three different 'gods' or alters. From there it was a short hop across the foot bridge to see the Chinese Assembly Hall.

Attempted to grab a drink at the Purple Cane Tea Restauarant but it looked more like a proper restauarant so we continued on our way, having to back track slightly.

Then it was onto the Guandi Temple, followed by the Sri Mahamariamman Temple, where we sat for a while and watched the ceremony and the washing of one of the statues with milk and water. We spent a little bit of time there sitting and watching and cooling down and Soma gave me a bit of the low down on Indian temples and what statues meant what.

From there, we stumbled across the markets before finding our way, eventually, and only after backtracking, to the Sze Ya Temple, KL's oldest Taoist Temple. Then it was across to Little India where we started at Merdaka Square, where KL's independence was proclaimed. The 100m flag pole is claimed to be the world's tallest freestanding flagpole and was the centre of the square. We had a quick visit to the Gallery where we cooled down in the air con, then grabbed some lunch which was buffet style before wandering round past the Kuala Lumpur Memorial Library, the Royal Selangor Club and the Sultan Abdul Building, which is now home to one of Malaysia's highest courts.

Down to the memorial arches and across to St Mary's Cathedral, which was closed, before heading past a giant pitcher plant fountain and the Sessions and Magistrates Court. Then it was a quick stop at the Masjid India (a mosque) although since I wasn't dressed appropriately (shorts which didn't cover the knees) I didn't go inside for a look.

Stroll through the markets and the various sari stalls, stopped at the Coliseum Hotel for a drink. The hotel was quite quaint, with high ceilings, a wall stocked bar and very old style. Lots of bar staff for a very quiet bar but it was nice to sit in some old style leather chairs and low tables with a cold drink. After cooling off, it was back wandering through Little India with a stop off at an Indian sweet shop for another drink and a snack, before we made it back to a train stop and headed home.

After a shower and change we headed back to the Petronas Towers for our visit up to the viewing platform. The views were absolutely stunning, and we managed to catch the sunset from the Sky Bridge at 43 floors up before heading up to the observation platform Up around the 86th floor. Lots of people, but since they minimize tour sizes it wasn't unbelievably crowded. Got lots and lots of photos (of course).

Then it was a quick train ride to Chinatown for dinner at the Old China Cafe. The restaurant was tucked away in the back end of Chinatown and was clearly a hot spot on the tourist trail, probably given the mention in Lonely Planet and Time Out and who knows how many other guide books.

After having entrees, I had the most delicious laksa, but unfortunately could only eat half of it. But soooooo tasty.

After dinner it was a wander back towards the train station when we stumbled across a Reggae Bar. We decided since it was still early to drop in and grab a quick drink, but when we found out they had a rooftop bar ended up staying longer than anticipated. It was also a hostel, so as well as fairly cheap drinks, the place was fairly full of backpackers, who got easily encouraged into doing limbo for free drinks, we sat and watched and laughed though rather than participated!

What was so nice about the place though was that we got to chill on a couple of lounges while taking in a glimpse of the Petronas Towers and Menara Tower while sitting back with a drink. Well, until they switched off most of the lighting at midnight!

Once we were done there we got a cab home and crashed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb