Phase 2


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our first foreign mealOur first foreign mealOur first foreign meal

I thought I ordered curry chicken. There were a lot of mystery items on my plate!
So we have been in Malaysia for about 5 days. Time flys when you are lost in a foreign country! Its hot and crazy, just the way I like it. Kuala Lumpur is an amazing city. If the people here operated on karma they should expect very good things to happen to them in the future. Everyone here has been so amazing. If people see that we are lost, they ask us what we are looking for. We have had one person drive us to the tourist office, we have had a cab driver give us his phone card for free when ours wasn't working. People seem so keen to help out one another. And they always seem happy! They smile and say hi to each other. They say sorry to each other at the drop of a hat. This city gives off such a positive vibe.

On the drive in the city was a really neat sight. We got in at about 8pm, so our first look at the city was at night, with everything lit up like a carnival. The Petronas towers looked like magnificant bright looming giants towering the city. These towers are amazing, both during the
A day trip to the batu cavesA day trip to the batu cavesA day trip to the batu caves

There was music playing, incense burning and people praying. It was a very spiritual experience.
day as well as the night. This city is very much alive at all hours. The night brings lively night markets, with bright, fun chaos. You can find just about anything here.

So for the first 2 nights Ten and I stayed in a decent hotel. Besides the cockroach problem it was clean and it was in a really good location. It was also about 26 bucks a night. It was pretty basic, with 2 twin beds, a small TV and shower. We decided to head to Chinatown for our last few nights here. Our room is a lot cheaper - about 3.50 a night, but the downgrade in price also had a downgrade in room quality. Its not bad though. Its a little tiny room with a bunkbed and a small window with a little wooden shelf. We don't really mind it though. There are no cockroaches and we aren't in the room very much anyways. For sleeping purposes this is good.

I have a favorite drink. Its aloe blackcurrent juice. It comes in a can like a soft drink, but has little bits of aloe floating around. They are little globs of gel that are soooooo good.

Well the food here is amazing. I have had a few mystery meals that haven't quite been my taste, but overall I have been eating all sorts of different dishes and liking almost all of them. All our meals have been from 3-8 USD and for the prices, portion and flavor, its every food lovers dream come true. I still have to try roasted BBQ duck - it has gotten rave reviews. I think I will probably stay away from the pigs brain thats been offered in some places. It could be training for fear factor though....Hmmm....

Well I thinks thats a wrap. We pick up our Vietnam visas today and we are off to Saigon on Sunday afternoon. Malaysia has been awesome and I can't wait to spend 2 weeks here before flying back to Canada. Malayisa has really great dive sites with some shipwreks so I might have to see what thats all about! See you in Vietnam!

Peace




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A few of the many monkeysA few of the many monkeys
A few of the many monkeys

There were maybe 30+ monkeys roaming around. They were extremely tame - a little too tame for my liking. We had to take our sunglasses off our heads so they didn't snitch them.
Mom and babyMom and baby
Mom and baby

Monkeys are cool
Cool HotelCool Hotel
Cool Hotel

I like the camel...
Why?  Why?Why?  Why?
Why? Why?

Is there such huge awesome malls when you can only have one backpack? Welcome to the mall right by our hostel. 5 floors and very cheap bargains.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb