Malaysia – Its Asia in Its Full Glory & Glamour!


Advertisement
Published: December 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Not far from Singapore is another fantastic holiday destination – Malaysia! My flight took less than an hour to deposit me at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which is Malaysia’s busiest airport and handles flights from all parts of the globe. I have been around the Asian continent and have, more or less, accepted the striking diversity that is such a prominent feature in here, but still nothing could prepare me for yet another such in-your-face versatile country!



“Truly Asia”, yes the official slogan of Malaysian tourism is what that rings in your mind as you begin to unravel the highs and lows of the place. You begin to understand that it is certainly not a clever PR catchphrase that have been developed in boardrooms, it is actually the way the country is – truly, authentically and cent percent Asia!! From wide-spread spiritual fervency to rush to embrace western ethos and from startling racial diversity to blossoming markets of consumer goods – the largest continent has a fine figurative representation in Malaysia.



People say Malaysia is the best of China and India. I have been to India and I vouch for the fact that there is actually a lot of Indian-ness here. Particularly in temples and at bazaars, you will be able to pin down the same. And it is at the dragon boat races, the vivid processions and fireworks from where, I am told, the China peeks!! Of course, the Malays have added their bit of magic to the land and have contributed to the mesmerizing, colourful cultural tapestry that is Malaysia.



In terms of sightseeing, Kuala Lumpur is the clear winner. The city’s Petronas Twin Towers stand out clearly and are a must-visit by all who plan a travel to the city or country. Then there are several Hindu temples and mosques. National Mosque is perhaps the most popular one.



Don’t forget to pay a visit to Chinatown and Little India sections of the city. These are vivacious places where the colour of the culture and the flavour of the foreign are most conspicuous. For shoppers, there is a large selection of handicrafts in store.



But the scenery shits drastically as you head towards the island of Langkawi. I am truly a sucker for beaches and the ones at Langkawi are seriously heaven-like. Beach bums, like me, would love the place. What makes it interesting are the legends and myths associated with Langkawi! I came across a couple of them myself and found them good tales to tell back home.



Penang is another popular tourist destination in Malaysia but unfortunately I was not able to make it to the beautiful city. I have been told that it has an interesting historical past and there are several colonial buildings to substantiate the same.



All in all, Malaysia has been a very pleasant and enjoyable experience. Time was short and I could not discover so many other facets of the country. I really wanted to check out the exciting water sports at Langkawi and Penang’s old buildings but…….sigh!! Anyways, perhaps it might work as an added incentive for me to again jump aboard flights heading for Malaysia!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb