Melaka to Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived late into Melaka after tortuous journey out from the jungle, starting on the world's slowest bus, held together by cable ties and with accompanying doddery driver swerving randomly across the road. Stayed in a characterful Nonya style hotel in the centre of Chinatown, full of authentic period details.

Discovered the old colonial town fought over by the Portuguese, Dutch and British, with its famous clock tower and the hilltop ruins of St. Paul's Church before wandering around both the informative maritime museum and the Baba-Nonya heritage museum providing an intriguing window into the 19th century ethnic lifestyles and traditions. Later took an atmospheric boat cruise up the river when the hot daytime temperatures eased as dusk fell. After a stop for the sweet local pineapple tart specialities took a slightly (?) tacky tri-shaw ride, inconspicuously touring the city centre with colourful flashing lights and blasting out loud dance music from the onboard speakers.

Next caught bus back to Kuala Lumpur to meet up with a friend, visiting Merdeka Square with its giant flagpole where Malaysian independence was declared on a former cricket pitch surrounded by colonial buildings; and the iconic Petronas Towers - walking across skybridge and enjoying expansive views over the surrounding city. Took a day trip out to the popular Baku Caves surrounded by temples and inquisitive monkeys, and joined fascinating Dark Cave ecotour, seeing large snake slither across the path, learning about the world's rarest (trapdoor) spider and hearing thousands of bats shuffling in the darkness above...


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Big WheelBig Wheel
Big Wheel

Melaka
TrishawTrishaw
Trishaw

A little tacky ?
Merdeka Square, KLMerdeka Square, KL
Merdeka Square, KL

Independence declared here
Big Gold StatueBig Gold Statue
Big Gold Statue

Baku Caves
Snake !Snake !
Snake !

Dark Cave
MonkeyMonkey
Monkey

Baku Caves
Many steps...Many steps...
Many steps...

Baku Caves
Fake StonehengeFake Stonehenge
Fake Stonehenge

Kuala Lumpur
View from SkybridgeView from Skybridge
View from Skybridge

Petronas Towers


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb