Huang Shan to Beijing (Temple of Heaven and Summer Palace)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Temple of Heaven
May 28th 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Huang Shan MountainHuang Shan MountainHuang Shan Mountain

Before the climb...
Next stop Huangshan (a stunning world-heritage granite mountain range inspiring much Chinese art) in neighbouring Anhui province, trundling into town on a local bus to be greeted by Mr Hu, our friendly and cheerful hotel owner. Explored the local town with its streets lined with small identikit supermarkets before the steep climb up to the peaks. Hiked through gorgeous views of steep gorges, bizarre rocky outcrops and twisted pine trees and passing heavily laden porters balancing huge bags of provisions while chatting with a friendly Israeli couple. Near the top squeezed through small tunnels and up precipitous steps to the exposed Lotus Flower summit offering fabulous mountain views.

After enjoying some more of Mr Hu's chinese cooking caught a bus to polluted Nanjing, the route passing huge road and appartment construction cutting a swathe through the traditional countryside vistas. Caught a rapid train from the monumental rail station north to Taian, the base for ascending the sacred mountain of Tai Shan. Started up the 6000 (!) steps to the top, the way busy with Chinese tourists, and the route gradually steepening before the final leg-burning "Path of18 Bends", with the peak visible high above. Explored the cool summit area, scattered with Buddhist and Confucius temples, and sometimes shrouded in mist as the clouds rolled by. Headed back down to visit the peaceful Dai Temple with its bonsai trees, giant tablet stelaes and mosaics.

Another fast train brought us to the busy capital city Beijing. A quick excursion to the Temple of Heaven park provided a quiet refuge from the bustle, with its colourful Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests and relaxed ambience with ancient cypresses and locals singing and practising Tai Chi. The following day took the metro out to the Summer Palace on the northern edge of the city, its large lake dotted with tourist boats and the willow-lined shore scattered with temples and walkways - caught a boat across and walked back, eating fresh sweetcorn and admiring the views in the light rain...


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

StepsSteps
Steps

Huang Shan
Rocky ViewRocky View
Rocky View

Huang Shan
Me and DominicMe and Dominic
Me and Dominic

Huang Shan
Lotus Flower PeakLotus Flower Peak
Lotus Flower Peak

Scary path...
Tai ShanTai Shan
Tai Shan

Only 6000 steps...
Route upRoute up
Route up

Tai Shan
InscriptionsInscriptions
Inscriptions

Tai Shan


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb