Orang-utans and Fairy Caves


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
October 16th 2009
Published: December 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Semenggoh to Fairy Cave


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: They're All Around! 38 secs
This was the one day we rented a car, for two destinations we couldn't reach otherwise: the Semenggoh Orang-utan Rehabilitation Center and the Fairy Cave.

The orang-utans at Semenggoh are semi-wild, living in the jungle but still offered food by the staff every morning if they choose to come and get it. So about 50 or so tourists arrived that morning for the feeding. We think the crowd kept them away. After 30 minutes or so the crowd got back in their vehicles and drove away. In no hurry to leave, we walked over to the headquarters area, as the Rough Guide had recommended. Sure enough, a little while later they started coming from all directions. We were surrounded by orang-utans (Malay for "people of the jungle"). Very cool.

One of the staff chatted with Melody quite awhile. He told her if she is ever lost in the jungle, a survival tip is: eat what the monkeys eat. In other words, we can digest what they can. Later someone else added to the tip: "eat what the monkeys eat, then eat the monkees".

Next it was off to find the Fairy Cave, which was very challenging without a
Mama & BabyMama & BabyMama & Baby

We were sitting on that spot a few minutes before.
decent map. We did a little cross-country exploration and backtracking, some stopping to ask people on the side of the road. Eventually we did find it. Spacious parking lot, massive concrete stairway up to the cave. Nobody else was there. We stayed an hour, nobody else came. Just how we like it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb